Chapter 2

It was school the next day. I was waiting for Joel by the bus stop. He usually goes to school by bus because he doesn't like to drive. I saw Luke walking up, Joel wasn't coming in behind him. I frowned. He must not be feeling well. As Luke walked past me, he whispered, "He's skipping today." Joel was never one to skip school without reason. He was usually sick or had a doctor's appointment when he did. Is Luke planning something?

Luke laughed and walked onto the bus, I followed behind him. I was a little sad that I was gonna spend today alone. We were supposed to work on that song too. I had texted Joel yesterday that I had gotten a few ideas. But surely he wouldn't mind if I wrote the song and then we revised it together. I looked around the bus to find Luke's eyes fixed on me. I quickly looked away. I only liked him a little bit, so I didn't really want him to be looking at me.

We made it to school, I went to my first period with my friend, Abigail. I've known her since my freshman year and she's always been like my sister. We were walking to class, and at this point it was like Luke was following me. His dark gaze looked right at me. "Luke keeps staring at me." I mumbled softly. Abby's face was shocked.

"You mean Joel's hot brother!" She exclaimed loudly. I hit her, and she realized her mistake. "You mean Joel's hot brother?" She quietly whispered back. I nodded and looked back to see Luke again. But it looked as if he was long gone. Maybe I was just imagining things. But I don't even like him that much, why would I imagine him?

It was lunch time, and I spotted Joel. Didn't Luke say he was skipping? Maybe Joel did have an appointment and Luke just thought he was gonna skip afterwards because of the doctor's note. That's what every student does to get out of school. I gestured for Joel to come over here. He looked at me, fear in his eyes. But slowly he walked towards me.

Abigail waved at Joel, and he waved back. "Why are you so scared?" I asked, laughing a little bit. Joel laughed a little too, but after he was scared again. So I just needed to keep Joel distracted, and he would be fine.

"I'm not, I don't intend to be. Why should I be afraid of you?" He said sarcastically, but also in a friend kind of joking way.

"I don't think so? I'm like the last person you'll ever have to be afraid of." I pointed out. "So, where were you?"

"An appointment." Joel replied, looking down. What the heck is wrong with him? Did he have some sort of sickness I should be aware of?

"Are you okay?" I asked, putting my hand on his shoulder.

"Yeah, I've never been better." He sighed. Abigail and I both knew that something was wrong with Joel, but we looked at each other and decided we weren't gonna say anything more to him. Luke appeared in the corner behind me.

"How'd it go? I thought you were gonna skip after, but I guess not. Did you even get a note?" Luke sneered. I jumped, not knowing that he was there.

"When did you get there?!" I questioned, a little scared. Luke laughed but didn't say anything. After I calmed down I put in, "Why are you basically mocking him?"

"I'm his brother. And he doesn't really like me. So, I'm gonna mock him. And not even you can deny you don't mock your siblings." Luke replied as if he had this in his head for days. Like he knew I was gonna ask him this question, so he came up with a response in his head.

"Do you not have your own friends to hang around? Like go bother Alex or Oliver, nobody really likes you here." Joel snapped. Luke was clearly being a nuisance, and Joel was already in a terrible mood. Luke's just trying to make it worse I suppose.

Luke leaned into my ear and whispered, "I promise he wasn't at an appointment. He's practicing, and got hit." He turned around and walked away. Practicing what? For his school play? But then why would he get hit?

"Does Luke like to start rumors, Joel?" I asked.

"I wouldn't be surprised. Why did he whisper something bad in your ear about someone?"

"Well, he keeps telling me that you aren't who you say you are. That you keep lying to me. But I know you aren't." That comforted Joel. I saw him smile. I guess I am good at making people feel better. And I hope that I will always be able to make him feel better.

"What does he say, I promise? That's the first note to look for when he is lying. If he says anything to you, like a synonym for honest, then you already know that it's a lie." Joel honestly spoke out. Luke's said "I promise" to me so many times recently. Luke's seriously planning something, and whatever it is, it's gonna scare me so bad.

"He's said that to me so many times."

"Yeah, he's really "good" at lying. I say good like that because once you learn his tricks it's so obvious." Joel looked around, probably for Luke. "Just try to stay away from him. Hopefully he'll leave you alone." As Joel spoke, Luke turned towards him and sneered. I don't know what's going on between the two of them, but I know I'm really not gonna like what the future brings between the them

I was heading home after school, when something hit me in the back of my head. It was a bracelet, multicolored, but the colors weren't in order. The colors they chose weren't pretty either. Attached to the bracelet, there was a small sticky note. Reading it out loud, I said, "And he called me a liar."