Chapter 9

I rushed out the door. I wanted to talk to Joel, but it would make more sense if I talk to Luke. How did Luke know her? And how close were they? But it makes sense why Luke wanted to kill me a few weeks ago. I might be out when everybody gets home for dinner, but I didn't care. All I knew is that I wasn't biologically related to any of them, and Luke might work with a psycho killer. 

I knocked on the door and Joel answered it. "Just the person I wanted to see." I trembled. Joel held me tightly in his arms. His presence comforted me. He was definitely concerned, but him holding me makes me feel comforted. "But I also need to see Luke. I really need to talk to him." 

Joel looked at me concerned. "Why do you talk to him?" He sounded a little angry. I know Joel doesn't want Luke to hurt me, but he's not. I can feel it. Especially after the song that he sent me, when he said he wasn't gonna hurt me again. "He's nothing but a pathological liar trying to take advantage of a pathological people pleaser." 

"Thanks? Oh come on, I know I shouldn't like Luke. But I believe he doesn't have bad intentions. It's just a question I need to ask. You can stand on the other side of the door, if that's what makes you comfortable. You can barge in if you think Luke's gonna hurt me." I replied, smoothly. I think Joel was convinced, but he narrowed his eyes. I walked up to Luke's room. I knocked. 

Luke opened the door, and he smiled, mockingly. I could already feel Joel get angry. "You're so fake." Luke blurted. I shot a glance at Luke. 

"Excuse me? You really think you have the audacity to call Joel fake, when all you ever did is lie to me?!" I shouted back. 

"Come in." He snapped. I looked at Joel, then back to Luke. He's not gonna hurt me, he's not gonna hurt me. I kept gaslighting myself. Besides the fact he's working with one of the most wanted murders, I will keep gaslighting myself. "Tell me I was right?" 

"Okay, I don't even care about that. You need to tell me why you're working with Klara Hart! Why are you coming after me? What did I ever do?" 

"You can't put two and two together? She wants you dead because she's your biological mother. All that I'm saying is when you get stabbed in the back, don't say I didn't warn you." 

"You can't even say that! You've already stabbed me in the back! You are not gonna influence my life, by convincing me that Joel is somebody you are!" He sighed. He picked up my hand and stared me in the eyes. He's being cute again. He's trying so hard to convince me, but not this time. I dropped his hand. "Luke, I'm sorry. But you're right, I'm not supposed to be here." 

I left their house. And it was dinner time when I got home. My mom made some pasta. I stayed quiet, thinking about Luke. He's a master manipulator, and he's trying to get me to think what's not true. But there was a part of me that believed his intentions were good. 

I thought about what Luke said about Joel. I could never see somebody like Joel be the kind of guy to stab someone in the back. He would never, he's too sweet for that. After regionals I'll just ghost the both of them, stay away from any danger that they might bring. But I knew I couldn't bring myself to ghost my best friend. 

I was quiet throughout all the dinner conversations. I was surprised nobody noticed, I'm usually the one that does most of the talking. But I still had Joel and Luke on my mind. Was I in love with both of them? Joel's my best friend that would make things awkward. 

"What are you thinking about?" Austin asked, snapping me back into reality. 

"Um regionals. I'm a little nervous for them tomorrow." I lied. I wasn't nervous at all actually, Joel and I were gonna do great. It was Luke trying to dig under my skin. I firmly told myself that I wasn't gonna let Luke persuade me. 

"Oh honey, you're gonna do amazing." I smiled at my mother's words, making it seem like my lie was true. My family continued to have conversations, that I discluded myself from. 

~~~ 

I got into the shower to get ready. I brushed my hair, my teeth, and did all the essentials before applying my makeup. I was too excited for today, and I hoped Joel felt the same. After I got dressed in a simple white dress, I looked out the window. I saw Joel and Luke arguing and I rolled my eyes. I wasn't happy that Luke was trying to upset Joel, specifically today. 

I went to my desk to flat iron my hair. There was an unknown crumpled paper. Is Luke seriously trying to sabotage everything? I didn't know if I wanted to open it. I would become more terrified if I didn't read it, so I opened it. 𝘐 𝘴𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘸𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴 𝘶𝘱, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘵𝘰𝘰 𝘭𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘮𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘨𝘰 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘯𝘰𝘸. 

I looked across at them. I stormed out of my house, ignoring my parents when they asked me where I was going. I was glad I lived right next to Joel and Luke. If I had a problem with either of them, I could just walk right over. I knocked on the door. 

Ben answered it. "Oh Joel's almost ready." 

"Actually I want to see Luke." Ben let me inside, a little confused. I knocked on the door. I pressed my ear up against the door when I didn't get an answer. 

"I'm not letting you do this!" 

"Luke, you aren't gonna stop me. Besides, it's too late." 

"You don't know what I'm capable of." Luke opened the door. "TAY-lor." He was nervous. That made it obvious that it was him. But my mind wandered to what they had been talking about. What did the rest of that conversation sound like?" 

"I thought I said I would pick you up?" Joel questioned. 

"I wanted to talk to Luke." I grabbed the note from my bag and slammed it in front of him. 

"What am I looking at?" 

"Don't act stupid!" 

"Then I guess I will." 

"Stop trying to influence me that Joel's such an awful person! It's not true, it's just not! And scaring me on a day like this? What's wrong with you?" Luke looked down and read the note. 

"Taylor, I didn't write that."