Chapter 3

I went up to my room. I swear if I get another weird note I'm gonna flip. Ever since I met Luke my life has turned into a mystery film. Luke's got to be getting some sort of revenge on Joel for... Well I don't know. Joel has never given anyone a reason to hate him.

Joel and I live next to each other, so I can go over there whenever I want, basically. But I looked through the window. Joel and Luke were fist fighting. I saw Luke push Joel into his desk, hit his arm, and what looked like Joel had shouted with agony. They started what looked like yelling, but Joel must've been in too much pain to start again.

I quickly raced downstairs, and out the front door. I needed to know what had just happened. They just got home about five minutes ago as well, so I don't know how you can start an argument and fight that fast. Especially fighting.

I knocked on the front door, and Joel's brother, Ben answered it. "Oh Taylor? I don't think now is a very good time."

"You don't think I know that?"

"Well, I was just in there. Joel's like bleeding or whatever." I pushed past Ben, and up to the boys' room. I knocked pretty aggressively.

"One second." Joel shouted. "Ow, would you stop touching the wound?" I heard him say afterwards.

"Well if you had shot correctly, they wouldn't have shot back!" Luke snapped. "Stop complaining. I'm trying to help you for the first time."

"You're the one that messed up her perfect wrap." What does Joel mean by her? Not like I'm jealous or anything. I just didn't think Joel talked to anybody else who is a girl, besides Abigail and I. I knocked again, a little bit softer this time. "Who is it?"

"It's me, Taylor." I replied.

"Okay, one second- Ow, that was on purpose!" I heard Luke laugh, I could imagine that he's sneering at Joel again. I waited out in the hall for about three more minutes before Luke got to the door. "Sorry about that." Joel put forward.

"Um, it's okay. I saw you guys fighting?"

"It's normal." Joel remarked.

"It happens all the time." Luke added. To my knowledge, Joel's never hit anybody in his life. He's much too sweet for that.

"Ben told me you were bleeding!" I exclaimed. Joel's face turned numb. I couldn't see through it at all. "Plus I heard you guys talking about somebody wrapping it before."

"My arm was already a little bit hurt, and Luke threw me into the shark edge of his desk." Joel started. But then added. "But I'm okay! I don't need medical attention or anything."

"Mhm." Luke mumbled.

"What I don't!"

"Uh huh."

"Seriously, what is wrong with you?!" Joel snapped, hitting Luke in the stomach. Luke squinted his eyes, as if he was planning what to do next. I didn't know if I should stay, or let them fight it and go home. But shouldn't I tell their mom? Surely she knows already.

"Fine, most people probably would. You don't because people teach you how to look after yourself." Joel laughed. How badly did Luke hurt Joel? What if he isn't really okay, because Luke seems to think otherwise. Luke put his hand on my shoulder. "Joel's alright, we're just joking a little bit." His intention was to comfort me.

While I stared uncomfortably at Luke's hand, Joel shot him a nasty glance. Luke looked into me, like he was gonna kiss me or something. I quickly moved away, unaware Luke was still gonna stare at me. Luke's so weird, it's almost creepy. I feel like he'd be a really good stalker...

"Don't touch her." Joel glowered.

"Make me." I saw Luke walk towards me, but Joel grabbed his chair, and tossed it at Luke's legs. "Fine, I won't." He stammered. Luke was looking at Joel like he was gonna fight back, but he kept still.

"Are you guys gonna be okay? How about you guys separate for a little bit." I suggested.

"I'd thought you'd never ask." Luke proclaimed. He quickly got up, and left the room. Joel and I were left alone in his room. It was some awkward silence for a few moments. I was considering telling Joel about the two weird notes I've gotten. But I decided to stay quiet. I'm probably going to get another one tonight anyways.

"So I remember you telling me you had some ideas?" Joel spoke, breaking the silence. I smiled.

"Yes! I have so many ideas. Like we could write a song about someone tolerating love, a song about a guy and a girl who both regret cheating because they still love each other, or someone else who realized they were tolerating love until it's too late?" I said very fast, before Joel paused me.

"Okay, but that's your favorite idea?" He pressed gently. Probably so I didn't rush myself with all the song ideas.

"A song about a guy and a girl who both regret cheating because they still love each other." I replied slowly. Joel smiled at me.

"I thought so. I bet you'll have a lot of fun with it since it could be like a story." He thought for a moment before he sang, "I think I've seen this film before, and I didn't like the ending."

"You're not my problem anymore, so who am I defending?" Joel and I laughed for a little bit. We tried to come up with a little bit more, only making it to the end chorus. And I had to go home. I decided to check the mail, because my parents forgot to do it earlier.

I grabbed the mail from the mailbox, and saw a letter with my name on it. Not another letter. Carefully I opened it, "You've seen this film before, so tell me. Who dies at the end of this one?"

February 11, 2024