CHAPTER 10

Awakening in the late afternoon, I find myself bathed in the soft, golden light filtering through the curtains. I reach out for Alex, expecting to feel his warmth beside me, but my hand meets empty air. Opening my eyes, I sit up and scan the room, my heart sinking as I realize he's gone. There's no trace of him, not even a lingering scent. I run my hand through my hair with a sigh, a pang of hurt gnawing at me despite my efforts to brush it aside. After all, I know we are mates, but not a couple.

Throwing the covers off my body, I make my way to the bathroom, eager to freshen up before I leave. With each step, I feel an ache between my legs, and a blush creeps up my cheeks as memories of this morning flood my mind. Alex had surprised me with his skills. I hadn't anticipated his roughness, nor did I expect to enjoy it as much as I did. But in that moment of shared intimacy, I discovered a new aspect of myself, a side that craved the intensity and passion he offered. With Alex, it seems there's always more to uncover about myself, and I'm eager to explore the depths of our connection further, but I doubt he is.

Stepping out of Alex's room after freshening up, I make my way down the stairs, my mind preoccupied with finding Luna Marely. I need to confirm whether we're still scheduled for the photoshoot today. As I navigate the hallway searching for her, the announcement playing over the pack house speakers catches my attention. It's a common practice for pack houses to use speakers to disseminate information, but I usually tune out the announcements. However, my ears perk up when I hear my name, causing me to freeze in place, my eyes widening in disbelief.

"Did I just hear that right, Poppy?" I ask as I replay the announcement in my mind.

"Yep," she confirms, her voice tinged with excitement. Of course, she would revel in the news.

"Did they really say that the Alpha and Luna heir inauguration of Alex and I will be held together?" I inquire, repeating each word of the announcement to Poppy.

"Yes," she replies, her smile widening.

"Oh my Goodness," I gasp, running a hand through my hair. It's hard to believe that this is actually happening.

"You just had sex with him, Hannah. I don't understand why this is so shocking to you," Poppy remarks, her tone laced with amusement.

"This is different," I protest, feeling a mixture of uncertainty and anticipation swirling within me.

"Don't you want it?" Poppy asks, sensing my hesitation.

"I don't know," I admit honestly. "Now that Alex and I are mates, it changes everything, but he still hates me."

"Don't worry, you are his mate now, so things will definitely change for the better," Poppy reassures me.

"Alright, if you say so," I reply, though a lingering sense of doubt remains.

As I cut my connection with Poppy, Luna Marley approaches with a bright smile on her face. My cheeks flush with embarrassment, praying she hasn't somehow caught wind of what happened between Alex and me. That would be mortifying.

"Hello, dear," she greets me warmly, her smile unwavering.

"Hi, Luna Marley," I respond, feeling inexplicably uneasy under her scrutinizing gaze.

"How are you feeling?" she inquires, her eyes fixed on me intently.

"Good," I reply, offering a tight-lipped smile and a nod.

"That's lovely to hear. You need to go to the dress store with Alex to try on dresses," she informs me. "He's already waiting out front."

"Try on dresses? For what?" I ask, puzzled by the sudden request.