CHAPTER 27

"You want me to sign a contract agreeing to divorce you when the two packs have stabilized and that our divorce won't affect it. This is some kind of joke, right?" Alex's voice drips with sarcasm as he enters my room in the silver pack.

I spin around, meeting his gaze head-on. "No, it's not."

Alex stared at me in disbelief. "You can't be serious. After everything we've been through, you will just walk away?"

I fold my arms, holding firm. "The contract is for the good of both packs. Once they're stabilized, it's best we go our separate ways."

"Best for who?" Alex shouts. "Did you ever stop to consider if I would also want this?"

I turn away, bitterness welling up inside. I picture Alex picking Alice instead of me. "Please sign the contract," I said coldly.

"Our engagement ceremony is barely days away. No, I won't."

I release a deep breath, my gaze locked onto Alex. The weight of my request hangs heavy between us, the tension palpable in the air. I know what needs to be done, even if it means resorting to deception.

"If you sign the contract, I will accept that saving Alice was the right choice," I say, my voice steady despite the turmoil raging within me.

Alex swallows hard, his Adam's apple bobbing visibly. "Hannah," he murmurs.

I close my eyes briefly, savoring the way he says my name. When I reopen them, I find his intense gaze fixed on me, searching for something in my expression.

"If you sign it, it also proves to me you don't have your ex in your heart anymore," I continue, my voice trembling slightly with the weight of my words.

"Hannah, but that's the opposite. Signing it would be proving I do and want to get back with her, which I don't," Alex counters, his brows furrowed in confusion.

I meet his gaze head-on, willing him to understand. "I know, but that's not how I will look at it. I will see it as you doing everything I ask because you care for me," I explain, my heart pounding in my chest.

"Really?" Alex asks, uncertainty etched in every line of his face.

"Yes, if you sign this contract, I will believe you care for me and have my best interests at heart," I affirm, my voice tinged with hope.

"Okay, fine then. I will sign it," Alex agrees, surprising me with his acquiescence.

He signs the contract and hands it back to me, a sense of relief washes over me, mingled with a twinge of sadness. This decision marks a turning point in our relationship, one I'm not sure we can recover from.

"See you at the engagement party," I say softly, gesturing toward the door. Alex hesitates for a moment, his gaze lingering on mine before he finally steps out, leaving me alone with my tumultuous thoughts.

As Alex steps out, my phone begins to ring on the nightstand. I glance at the caller ID before answering.

"Hi, Jason."

"Hey, Hannah. How are you doing?" Jason's voice comes through the phone.

"I'm good. You?"

"Good also," I reply, sinking onto the edge of my bed.

"What are you doing tonight?"

"Nothing much. Why do you ask?"

"A couple of friends and I are going out for a drink, and I thought it would be nice if you came along."

I hesitate, weighing the pros and cons. I don't know any of Jason's friends, and it might be awkward, but at the same time, I could use a distraction.