CHAPTER 38

ALEX

I uphold my end of the deal, playing the role of a devoted couple with Alice for the past three agonizing days, each moment stretching into eternity as I force myself through the motions of fake affection and empty gestures. The charade leaves me feeling hollow and miserable, a gnawing emptiness gnashing at my insides as I count down the moments until its inevitable conclusion.

The worst part isn't enduring the facade with Alice but rather the searing glare of jealousy from my brothers, their eyes burning with accusation as if I am genuinely competing for Alice's affection. Their silent judgment weighs heavily upon me, exacerbating the torment of my own guilt and self-loathing.

Yet, amidst the suffocating confines of my charade, the absence of Hannah's presence cuts the deepest. Each unanswered call, each ignored message, serves as a painful reminder of the chasm that now lies between us. I can't blame her for avoiding me, not after the lies and betrayal that shattered her trust. The memory of her devastated expression upon discovering me at the hospital pierces my heart like a dagger, a relentless torment that I can neither escape nor amend.

But now, finally, I am done playing the role of Alice's doting boyfriend. No more enduring the jealous glares of my brothers. With a sense of relief flooding over me, I can now redirect my focus to where it truly belongs: building a genuine relationship with Hannah, my mate and future Luna. The prospect of nurturing a real connection with Hannah fills me with a profound sense of joy and determination. I can devote myself wholeheartedly to her, showering her with the attention she deserves. The mere thought of being able to embrace her fully sends a surge of warmth coursing through my veins.

I check my appearance one last time in the mirror, grab my suitcase, and head for the door, ready to make my way to the Crescent Pack's resort, where I know Hannah is staying. Though she has traveled there for business, I wouldn't be surprised if she opted to extend her stay after what happened. I need to find her, to explain everything, and assure her that she is my priority.

But before I can leave, Alice barges into my room unannounced. "I'm so happy I caught you before you left," she gushes, rushing towards me with urgency.

I narrow my eyes at her. "Why?"

"I can't find your brothers, so I was wondering if you could take me to the hospital for a follow-up examination," she explains with an expectant look.

Exasperated, I shake my head. "Sorry, but I'm busy. I can't." Hannah is waiting for me; nothing will delay me from getting to her, even for a second.

"Please, I really need to go, and it's getting late," Alice pleads, grasping at my arm with desperation.

I pull away from her grip, my tone firm. "That's not my business. Besides, you're feeling better - take yourself." With that, I step out of the room, leaving her behind as I make my way to the airport to board my private jet. I have a mate to win back.

Upon arriving at the resort, I immediately dial Hannah's number to let her know I am here and ready to bring her back home where she belongs. But it keeps going straight to voicemail. Deciding to grab a drink while I search for her, I freeze when I spot her sitting at an outdoor restaurant...on what appears to be a date with another man.