CHAPTER 39

HANNAH

I step out of the room, my heart heavy and aching from the conversation I just had with Alex. The weight of our complicated relationship presses down on my chest, making it hard to breathe. Why can't things be simple between us? Why does every step forward feel like a battle, a constant push and pull that leaves me drained and raw? For the first time, a traitorous thought whispers through my mind - a desperate wish that someone else was my mate, someone who wouldn't hurt me so deeply.

"Hannah?" A familiar voice calls out, pulling me from my spiraling thoughts. I lift my head to see Alpha Collins standing before me; his brow furrowed with concern. "Oh my goodness! Are you okay?" He closes the distance between us in a few long strides, his hands gently grasping my arms as he searches my face.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's just allergies," I reply, the lie falling flat even to my own ears as I sniffle and wipe my face clean of the tears that stained my cheeks.

"Allergies?" He asks, disbelief coloring his tone. He reaches out, his fingers tenderly lifting my chin, forcing me to meet his gaze. "You can do better than that."

I swallow hard, the lump in my throat making it difficult to speak. "I don't want to talk about it," I manage to whisper, dropping my gaze from his, unable to bear the concern I see shining in his eyes.

"No problem. Come with me then," he says softly, his hand sliding down to grasp mine, his fingers intertwining with my own as he gently tugs me along with him.

We walk out of the hotel, the cool breeze caressing my skin as we head towards the surrounding forest. Alpha Collins's hand remains firmly clasped around mine, and I don't pull back; his hold is a silent anchor in the storm of my emotions. We trek up a winding path, the exertion burning in my legs, until we reach the top of a mountain overlooking the vast expanse of the sea. The view steals my breath, the beauty of it momentarily chasing away the ache in my heart.

"It's beautiful," I whisper, awe and wonder filling my voice as I take in the stunning vista before me.

"I know. I usually come here when I want to be alone or to think deeply," Alpha Collins confesses, his own gaze fixed on the horizon.

I turn to face him, a small, grateful smile tugging at my lips. "Thank you," I murmur, sinking down to sit on the edge of the cliff, my legs dangling over the side.

"Don't mention it," he replies, settling down beside me, our shoulders brushing as we sit in companionable silence for a moment.

Curiosity gets the better of me, and I find myself asking, "How did you find this place?" The question is a welcome distraction from the turmoil of my own thoughts.

Alpha Collins takes a deep breath, his eyes growing distant as he stares out at the sea. "I don't usually tell people or even bring them here," he begins, his voice low and thoughtful. He turns to face me then, his gaze locking with mine, intense and searching. "But you are different. You're not just anyone, so I'm going to tell you."