ix.

nine !*ೃ✧˚

nine !
*ೃ✧˚. ❃ ˊ-

A QUICK RECOVERY was mandatory for Caroline. With the unfortunate loss of four tributes and Felix Ravinstill being on life support, the Capitol wanted to prevent losing any more valuable people. They claimed that the more people they lost, the weaker they'd look at losing to the rebels.

Caroline was treated with some sort of healing cream that was meant to work within a few days. The nurses put it on her spine and her neck, hoping to repair the damage made by the bombs. The few cuts on her face were bandaged heavily, making them look much worse than they actually were.

Her voice was quite raspy and it pained her to talk, but here Caroline was, standing in front of the bars that separated the tributes in the Capitol Zoo from the rest of the world.

She needed to speak to Jessup one last time before he went into the arena.

Seeing that most of the tributes were trying to get their last bit of somewhat peaceful rest, Caroline quietly called out Jessup's name.

"Jessup!" She whispered, wincing at the pain shooting through her throat as she spoke.

She observed his head lift at the sound of his name, his gaze darting around frantically to identify the speaker. Catching sight of Caroline, she waved and gestured for him to come over.

Jessup walked over, careful not to wake any of his fellow tributes.

"What are you doing here?" He questioned.

"I came to speak to you one last time before the Games," Caroline responded, her voice still weak as a small smile gracing her lips.

"I see you and your partner had the same idea then," Jessup says.

Caroline's raised an eyebrow, confused as to what he was referring to. "What do you mean?"

Jessup pointed to Coriolanus who stood in front of a rambling Lucy Gray. Despite Lucy Gray speaking directly to him, Coriolanus' gaze held steady on Caroline. Her smile vanished and she instantly looked away.

"I didn't know he was here." She muttered, visibly aggravated at his unexpected presence.

"Well, it was nice of you to be here. Are you okay?" He inquired.

"I'm fine," She assured.

Jessup lightly brushed his calloused fingers along the bandages covering the cuts on her face.  He shook his head in frustration.