x.

ten !*ೃ✧˚

ten !
*ೃ✧˚. ❃ ˊ-

CAROLINE AND CORIOLANUS hadn't had much time together before they were dragged into Heavensbee Hall to watch their tributes violently fight to the death.

The twenty-three mentors sat on the floor in front of their tiny personal screens along with the big screen portraying the actual Games. There was an audience of friends and family members behind them as well as other students from the Academy.

"It looks like a blood bath in here with all the red uniforms," She whispered to Sejanus.

She sat in between Coriolanus and Sejanus, who were both uncharacteristically quiet. Considering the circumstances, Caroline let Sejanus go when he gave her no response.

Ackowledging her attempt to lighten to mood, Coriolanus reached for her fingers and entwined them with his. He gave her a reassuring squeeze as she smiled at him to show her appreciation.

"Everyone, as you know, we're about to go live. Just because you're not hosting, doesn't mean you're off the hook. Help me. Don't get lost behind your screens. No yawning, no gum chewing. Keep your chins down, heads up, shoulders back. And smile. It's why we have teeth." Lucky Flickerman instructed.

Caroline took a deep breath, trying to focus on the present moment and the instructions given to her. Regardless, her mind still found a way to wander back to the Dark Days.

Flashbacks of the bomb going off in her house, shaking the structure down; and her and her sister crying out as their ears rang. Going outside and seeing blood shattered everywhere.

Her breathing began to quicken at the mere thought of war. Her hand fell from Coriolanus' as she spun her anxiety ring.

Coriolanus noticed her hand detaching from his. He slid his gaze to her and took note of the way she was anxiously spinning the ring she had bought a few years before when her anxiety worsened.

"Hey," He whispered, leaning into her ear, "Everything will be okay."

She bit her bottom lip as she turned to face him, "What are you talking about?"

"You spin that ring when you are anxious and you start to blink two times as much as you normally do, so you don't start crying. And you bite back on your bottom lip and your leg is shaking."

An expression of astonishment swept across her features, her eyebrows arching in genuine surprise. The sudden awareness struck her—he had been observing her more closely than she had ever imagined. It marked as a departure from the familiar landscape of blending into the background, where she had become accustomed to the comforting embrace of being unnoticed.

Despite her inner shock, she breathed out, "I didn't know people noticed those things about me. I always thought I was just someone in the background."

"I've always noticed you, you're the main character in my life." He advised.