EP7 : HER WITH HIM?

The next morning, I'm at school. It's our free period, and I'm busy jotting down my notes when I spot Akari and Akira chatting in the hallway. Their conversation sparks a twinge of jealousy within me.

Just as I notice Fuji glancing in my direction, he walks up to me and asks, "Hey, are you okay? You seem down." His concern is evident in his voice.

I can't help but ask him, "Hey, why are they both acting like this?" He takes a quick look at them and replies, "I don't know, let me snoop around and find out." With that, he leaves me behind.

Fuji approaches them, pretending not to care, and after a few minutes, he returns to me with a somber expression. "They were talking about hanging out together," he says sadly.

"What!" I exclaim, jumping up from my seat. He nods in confirmation. "But why?" I demand to know. "How would I know?" he responds before walking away.

Although it leaves me feeling a bit down, this time, my main focus is on getting revenge. I try my best to push those negative thoughts aside and move forward with my day. 

~Akari pov~

As the sun began to set, I found myself standing in front of my humble abode. Akira, my companion for the evening, was on his way to pick me up. 

Spotting him, I enthusiastically waved my hand in the air. He caught sight of my gesture and reciprocated with a wave of his own.

 "I've been eagerly awaiting your arrival," I exclaimed. "Well then, let's embark on our adventure!" he replied with a mischievous grin, to which I nodded in agreement.

We set off on foot, and as we strolled along, Akira inquired, "Where shall our first destination be?" Pondering for a moment, I suggested, "How about indulging in some delectable snacks?"

His nod indicated his approval, and after a short while, we made our way to a charming café. With a subtle gesture, he guided me towards a seat, and I gracefully settled down. Sushi was our chosen delight, and we savoured every bite.

After satisfying our appetites, we decided to catch a captivating movie. As the film came to a close, we began our journey back home. However, a serene and empty park caught our attention, beckoning us to take a seat. 

Side by side, Akira turned to me and inquired, "Did you thoroughly enjoy our time together?" With a contented smile, I replied, "Absolutely," causing his smile to widen.

"I find immense joy in your presence right now," he confessed, causing a rosy blush to adorn my cheeks. "Oh, the feeling is mutual," I responded, my heart brimming with happiness.

As our evening drew to a close, Akira kindly offered to escort me back to my humble abode. I gratefully accepted his offer with a nod, appreciating his thoughtfulness.

~Akihiko pov~

"I'm pondering what Akari might be up to at this very moment," I shared with Fujii during our phone conversation. "Don't fret, bro," he reassured me as we chatted away.

Seated at my desk, I continued our conversation, saying, "Yeah, but..." 

Unfortunately, my phone suddenly died, leaving me with a sense of sadness as I gazed at its lifeless screen.

Determined to revive my device, I retrieved my charger from my bag and plugged it in, carefully placing my phone on the charging dock.

With my half-yearly exams approaching, I attempted to focus on studying for good grades. However, my mind struggled to concentrate on the task at hand.

Just then, a notification caught my attention – Akari had posted new pictures on Instagram. Curiosity piqued, I tapped on the notification and saw her captured moments with Akira. 

"So... they're having a great time," I murmured to myself.

Those images stirred up a mix of sadness and jealousy within me, despite the fact that they weren't in a romantic relationship.

"I-I should get some sleep now," I whispered to myself, still feeling downcast. 

Tears threatened to spill, and though I had resolved to ignore the situation, I found it difficult to do so.

The truth is, I'm deeply in love with her, and the thought of her spending time with Akira troubles me.

 I've decided to confront her about why she was hanging out with him.

Eventually, sleep overcame me, and I drifted off into a slumber.

Morning arrived, and I found myself sitting in the school cafeteria, enjoying my lunch. To my surprise, Akari took a seat beside me.

"Um... Akari," I hesitated, seeking her attention. She turned to look at me, her eyes meeting mine.

 "You were with Akira yesterday, right?" I asked, trying to keep my emotions in check.

"Yeah, we watched movies together," she replied, a hint of excitement in her voice as she grinned.

I gazed into her eyes, mustering a bittersweet smile. "Did you have a good time?" I inquired. She nodded enthusiastically, responding, "Yes!"

Taking a deep breath, I summoned the courage to ask, "So... Do you really like Akira?" She nodded again, confirming my suspicions.

"Yeah, he's a decent person, but why do you want to know?" she asked, looking a bit puzzled. I gave a slight smile and shook my head, indicating a negative response.

We finished our lunch and headed to our class. The next period was English class. The teacher walked in, and we greeted her with a pleasant afternoon.

She began teaching, "Today, we'll be discussing narration," she said. "Okay, ma'am," we all responded.

I glanced at the blackboard, where an example read, "Akira held Akari's hand."

Seriously, why is even the teacher shipping them? I don't like it. I don't want them to be together. Akira is mine and mine alone.

I looked at Akari, and she seemed frustrated. Maybe she didn't appreciate the example as much as I did, or perhaps she's unwilling to accept the truth that she's in love with Akira.

When school ended, I grabbed my bag and left. On my way home, I noticed a road and gazed at it. It was the path that leads to my sanctuary, a river.

Not many people know about that river. It's quite unknown, yet so serene. I decided to go there.

After walking for a few minutes, I arrived. The place looked just as peaceful as it did in my childhood. The last time I visited this place was when my parents passed away.

I sat on the grass, took out my phone, and played my favorite song, "Duvet."

Am I envious? I should be thrilled for her that she fancies someone, but... Why am I feeling so melancholy?

Why is it gnawing at me? Who am I to dictate whom she should fancy? I'm just an ordinary companion to her... just a friend...

Perhaps I'm smitten with her, perhaps I adore her deeply, but she has bestowed her heart upon someone else.

I don't deserve her heart, my personality isn't commendable, and I'm certain my future isn't promising.

I'm an unlucky soul, if she were to be with me... she would have to endure hardships with me. It's better to leave her with Akira, he will keep her safe and content.

Akira, my brother, I'm entrusting her to you... be with her forever...

I dozed off while lost in my thoughts, and the entire night I remained motionless.