Chapter Three

I opened my laptop and started to imagine Damon's office design. It was a floor to ceiling windows, and it faced the New York view, but there seemed nothing interesting.

I never studied interior design anyway. Dad could have known if there was something useful, but he was ignoring me. I opened the other files I sneaked from the old files in the computer I use at work.

Without checking anything, I forwarded all of them to my dad's email, hoping maybe for him to call me after getting the email.

He never called that night. Instead, the next day, Seth, his assistant, was the one who called me the next day.

"Your father said that he is a bit busy these days. He said to be patient a little, and about the email you sent, there was nothing useful against Frederick Roy. he said to keep digging."

I was disappointed the last days about dad not calling me, but after hearing what he had to say from Seth, I was beyond mad.

Was it necessary to point out the uselessness of the email I sent him first thing without even at least praising the effort I put in getting the file? I decided to ignore him too for the time being and concentrated on the matter at hand.
The presentation.

Damon's POV

I was starting to feel the exhaustion in every part of the body. I have been working tirelessly, and the nights I slept soundly were few.

I was doing the final check of what all departments will present in the monthly meeting with the shareholders when the office door opened and a smiling Diana came in with a lunch box.

I know that I should have felt enthusiastic or something positive seeing my fiancé making an effort make me feel better. But I hated that it made me realize how guilty I was.

Diana was gorgeous and anything but bad.
She was doing whatever she could to keep our marriage together, but I was really not feeling like it.
And I was sure that she hated how I acted towards her, too.

"Hey?! Still working?"

she tried to brighten the mood as usual.

"Why are you here again, Diana?"
I asked impatiently.

"To look for my fiancé who disappeared from his own home, of course. "

She casually answered while preparing to hand me the lunch she prepared. I stopped her midair, and she looked at me questioningly.

"You know that I don't like it when you tire yourself coming here at the office. I might be an asshole but I don't want to treat you worse than I already do."

     That seemed to make her blood boil. She abruptly stood up, mad and hurt as well.

"You really are a jerk, Damon. I was hoping at least to find you with someone who is taking care of you at the office, but you are here buried in your work without getting any rest. And when I try to help, you are pushing me away for the umpteenth time!? This has to end. For good."

After giving me an earful, she took her purse and left the office. She didn't shade any tears, but I was damn sure that she would when she got in the car. I sighed.

"This is not getting us anywhere." I thought and sighed again.

    Our marriage was decided by our families, but because none of us were seeing anyone, we complied with their suggestion as it was not hurting anyone.

Her father wanted dad's money to save his company, and mine wanted me to gain trust from the investors and shareholders as I was known to be a player in our family's social circle.