Chapter Five

Harper's POV

I could smell the word expensive from the clothes Avery chose for me.
I was glad that she chose a skirt because if it was a pant, I was sure that it could not fit.
Even the skirt was too tight for my liking, and it was a little short, but it was okay.

After combing my hair, I checked myself in the mirror, and a little smile plastered on my lips.

I missed wearing bland clothes.

This is how I dreamed of dressing in the office when I was still in college, but now I have to mingle with other employees as the chairmans only daughter.

But it was fine with me.

I was going back to Chicago after the task I got from my father. I was avenging my mother.

"What's wrong? You don't like it?"

I almost jumped when Damon's voice came from behind me.

I realized that my hands were clenched at my sides almost painfully, and my face was dull. I plastered on a smile and turned.

"No, it's just a little tight, but I'll be fine. Thank you, sir. "

I tried to look anywhere but at him.

I almost forgot how devilishly handsome he looked, and now his sleeves were rolled, showing his strong arms under that black shirt he had on.

Harper, really? Get your shit together.

"Have breakfast before you leave. I will be in the office."

He closed the door behind him, and I sighed. I was glad that it was Friday because I needed time to think and clear my head.

Frederick did a good job yesterday by messing it top tier.

And now I was eating breakfast his son made. It tasted good, though.

I mentally prepared myself before opening the door to the office.

Of course, the other jerk was still there; well, he is not one, but I at least have to find someone or something to blame for my embarrassing morning.

He was not helping, though, because he smirked when he saw me before I could sneak out unnoticed.

"You are not saying hi to this humble man, Miss Harper?" his voice was teasing as well as his handsome stupid face.

Where Damon's looks were more dark and devilish, Ralph's were playful carefully, and you could have thought that he was flirting with you with his hello alone.

That's how their beauty differed.

Damon was like a devil, and Ralph was like sin.

"Ralph."

Damon's deep warning voice brought me back to reality. With Damon's deadly glare He raised his hands in surrender and winked at me.

I don't know why, but I found myself rolling my eyes at him.

"Tomorrow, we're proceeding. Clear your head on this weekend because it will be a long week."

He said before returning his eyes back to the tablet in his hands.

The secretary didn't seem to guess anything, so I was relieved, but before I could get into the elevator, Avery saw me from the HR's office.

She smiled at me and waved me to wait.

"Oh my god! You look..."

she shook her head as if contemplating on what to say, not to sound offending.

"... full... I mean, great. Not the bad way, actually. I thought that we were the same size but I think that I was a little wrong."

She looked me up and down, admiring her work, and smirked.

I was a bit surprised because I thought that she was too serious to be more playful. I was wrong, though, considering the next words she whispered to me.

"I think I got a fun idea. Let's go shopping together the next time."

She gave me her best smile and disappeared in her office. It was genuine but sinister, too.

I was still processing what happened when the elevator dinged, and I got in.

**

It was strange how I kept feeling creeps as if some were watching me even though I was aware of my neighborhood excellent security.

It was another reason why my father bought this place for me.

Anyway, before I came to New York, I had no idea that he had bout me an apartment. I shouldn't have accepted it, though.

It was a waste of money.

I was going to leave it here anyway. I got in the elevator, and the feeling of being followed subsided.

My apartment was the same as how I left it yesterday morning.

I took a shower and ate the takeout I brought home with me while passing through my email.

There were usual ones from work, but there was none from Chicago.

Did he forget about me by any chance? I started to wonder what could have happened if yesterday I slipped on one exposing word to that murder.

...FLASHBACK, Harper

Yesterday,

As if it was not enough for him to mess with my head and make a fool of myself, Frederick was waiting for me in front of my cubicle.

I was not expecting it, but I had to deal with him sooner or later. I took a deep breath and walked to ward him.

"Do you need something. sir?"

I tried in my most polite way, but I was burning inside.

Facing someone who has destroyed your life was not easy.

At least if my mother was alive. I should have lived a normal life, not my fathers planned one.

"Can I have a moment, Miss Scott?"

his voice was deeper and more mature than his son's. I nodded and gestured for him to get inside.

"Please, sir."

I forced the words out to get the meeting with him over with.

"Do you mind reminding me of your full name, please? I think that I'm getting old to forget after less than an hour."

His eyes lingered on my watch longer than necessary before he smiled. I didn't want to know whether he was trying to be, nice or something, I just wanted him to leave.

"Kimberly Scott. I'm very honored to work here at Roy's, sir."

He chuckled in his low voice, and he almost sounded like Damon.

"Your idea was good. Maybe next time, we can consider giving it a shot. Don't give up."

He squeezed my shoulder and left with his assistant.

END of Flashback...