Chapter Four

Harper's POV

I finally opened the door. I had been standing in front, fidgeting for almost five minutes.

I was scared or embarrassed...? I had no idea.

I was not ready to handle him, too, after his father. He was seating comfortably in his chair, massaging his temples with his eyes closed.

He told me to sit without opening them. I started to get nervous, so I started babbling about whatever came into my mind.

"I failed. It's not that I did not prepare well. It's just that it was my worst day, okay?"

he didn't stop me, so I kept talking.

"You know that everyone has that one day, right?"
he was listening, waiting for me patiently or, was he sleeping?
Because he hasn't moved a muscle.

"Mr. Roy...?"

I called him to gain his attention. I was surprised again when instead of asking me why I was yelling in his office, he gave a tired chuckle.

"You really came prepared, aren't you?"

In that instant, he opened his eyes, and I realized how tired he was. His eyes were bloodshot, and the dark lines under his eyes were starting to become visible.

"Did you bring your final proposal?"
he asked me, and I shook my head because I had no idea what he wanted to talk about earlier.

He took some files from his table and handed them to me.

"Don't lose hope yet. We might need your proposal, so choose in that file a few people we'll work with and tell me after deciding."

"Really?! Thank you so much, Mr. Roy. "

he managed a nod, but he looked lifeless. "Are you okay? "

I subconsciously asked and mentally scolded myself.

"I will be fine, but thank you. I will be taking a nap. Tell me when you are done."

I stood up preparing to leave.
"Where are you going? Ooh I almost forgot to tell you. We'll be doing much of the work here because it is confidential. Avery will give you more details so, for now you can wait for me here I will be nearby."

Without wasting another minute, he punched some codes, and I was surprised to see a room.

"So he sleeps here sometimes. "
I thought in bewilderment. My shock was visible on my face, but I was still gawking shamelessly.

It was a proof of how little I knew about Roy's, and it was going to be difficult for me to gain anything.

    **

    It has been almost two hours, and Damon was nowhere to be found.

He has disappeared behind an invisible door, and he was not back yet. I was doing my best to stop thinking about how he usually slept.
Whether he slept fully clothed or... I was really shameless.

But it was not my fault.

I was bored, and the hormones were not helping.

I wanted to check the time but I recalled that I had left my watch in my cubicle so I reached for my phone. I was shocked to find that it was past six in the evening.

The closed curtains distracted me from checking knowing that It was getting darker. I switched off the lights and opened them.
Approaching the floor to ceiling windows I gaped at how beautiful it was  watching New York at night from Roy's.