01

Death has a very particular smell. The smell of rot. Almost like a mix of old seafood and a sweetly putrid smell of trash. note that I mentioned sweet. It's odd, you wouldn't think of something that's dead to have a slightly sweet smell to it.  It's not the good kind of sweet. Almost like a chemical sweet. It was a good smell.

This is the conclusion nine year old Emmit came to as he looked down at the dead guineafowl. “Lacch. Come look.” He called.

“What is it, Emmie?” Asked the young child as they walked over. They looked down at the dead bird and plugged their nose. “Ew! Emmit! Why are you showing this to me! It's sad and gross!”

“Doesn't your brother like to collect bones ‘n stuff? We should take the bird's bones. And don't call me Emmie. I don't like that nickname. It's girly.”

Lacch shook their head. “I don't care if Euan likes to get bones! The thing is all dead and gross. You have fun and do your weird creepy stuff, but I don't wanna! It's stupid and smelly.”

“Don't act so mean!” He poked the rotting bird. “I wonder if it still has blood in it..”

Lacch stook out their tongue and shook their head. “You're weird. Weirdo Emmit. I will still be your friend because I'm nice though! You're welcome Emmie.”

“I told you not to call me Emmie! And do you have something sharp? I need to open the bird. I wanna see how much blood is left in it.”

“Ew. No. I'm not helping you with your weirdo things. Creepy weirdo Emmit is playing with dead things again!” They laughed. “Ew! Ew! Ew!”

Emmit growled and shook his head. “I hate when you are like this. You should always agree with me and do what I want.. this isn't fair.”

“Sorry Emmit. I just think it's funny to mess with you.” They hugged Emmit. “You know I am only playing around!”

Emmit sighed. “Yeah.. ok..” he stood up and took a step away from the dead bird. “I will leave the birdie alone. I bet it doesn't even have much blood in it anyways. Sorry for being a bit mean and creepy Lacch..”

“It's ok Emmie! You know I don't care! I just know your mama doesn't like you doing that sorta stuff so like.. yeah!” They hugged Emmit again. “Now come on Emmie! Let's go play by the bridge!”

Without a word of protest, Emmit followed Lacch as they made their way to the bridge, leaving the dead bird at peace.