Rex felt kind of guilty for what he has done to Kara.

Manipulation wasn't exactly his favourite thing.

But Kara had to understand that he worked for the Empire now, even if that meant him playing up how she would see him. He felt nauseous as he thought about what he had done, but he had to make sure Kara knew to keep away.

He'd hate to have to bring her in, but loyalty to the Empire was everything. He was designed to be loyal to a fault, and nothing could change that.

And a small piece of him whispered, "What about loyalty to Kara?"

He told that piece of him to shut up because things were complicated enough.

But he couldn't deny that it was there, with a good point.

He walked through the hallways, heels clicking in the otherwise silent corridor. The walls were a foreboding black and the floors were polished enough for him to see his reflection.

The silence unnerved him. It was never this quiet on the cruiser.

"Captain." A passing clone nodded to him, armour a shining white.

"Trooper," Rex half-heartedly smiled, helmet pinned to his side. "Have you seen Lord Vader?"

They removed their helmet as well, revealing Echo. He frowned, shaking his head. "I haven't seen him. Are you alright? You seem shaken."

"I'm fine." Rex continued walking, his skin crawling as he went to the boardroom. He entered without making a sound, slipping to the corner of the room.

Vader was seated at a chair at the end of the sleek, black table. He was in a heated discussion with some council members, none of them looking up at Rex.

Rex missed Anakin and Ahsoka. He missed Obi-wan and R2D2.

He missed everything about his old life.

But he was loyal and nothing could change that.

"You're all dismissed. Try to think of better ideas for next time," Vader said, his modulated voice cutting through the chatter. As soon as they had all fled the room, he looked up at Rex. "Captain. Did you apprehend the one responsible for my attempted assassination?"

"No, sir." Rex shook his head. "She got away, but I do know who it was."

He didn't know why he blurted that last part out, but it was like he physically couldn't keep a secret from his superior. He chalked it up to loyalty.

"Who?" Vader pressed, standing up.

"Have you heard of Kara Madden?" Rex asked, a small smile blooming on his face before he squashed it. "The former Separatist general?"

"I've heard of her," Vader responded. "So it was her?"

"Yes, sir," Rex confirmed. "She managed to evade me, however."

"I'm sure she did." Vader entwined his fingers behind his back. "Captain, I am aware that you and her... were a thing. I hope that won't get in the way of your job. The Empire doesn't tolerate distractions or those or get distracted."

"Understood, sir. She won't get away next time," Rex firmly said. 

"I hope so. I'd hate to have to dispose of you." Vader turned his back to Rex, facing the window.

Rex understood his dismissal and exited. He sighed once he had left the room and headed to his office.

He had so much paperwork and he knew he would have to spend the whole night doing it. So he threw his helmet into the corner of the room, preparing for a long night.

"I'm home!" Kara called, undoing her hair as she entered her small house.

Alex grinned, holding hands with his temporary babysitter. He let go and hurried over, wrapping his arms around Kara's leg.

"Hey, kid," Kara fondly said. "You have a good time?"

"We played peek-a-boo," Ahsoka said. "Then he got scared when I 'disappeared' and started crying. I couldn't get him to be quiet after that."

"Did you gag him?" Kara questioned. "Because I don't know if you know this, but you're not supposed to gag children."

Ahsoka crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes. "I'm pretty sure that's obvious."

Kara forced a smile. "Yeah no one would be stupid enough to do that. Just wanted to make sure, though."

"Sure." Ahsoka smirked, running her thumb along her lightsabers. "Anyway, I should get going soon. I don't like to stay in one place too long."

"Thanks again for babysitting," Kara gratefully said. "I don't know what I would do without you."

"How did it go?" Ahsoka curiously asked. "Did you kill the Sith?"

Kara pursed her lips. "No. But I did see someone there."

"Anakin?" Ahsoka hopefully asked. "I haven't seen him since he went to those doctors... He never came back."

"No, it was Rex." Kara noticed Alex perked up at the mention of Rex's name. "He might've tried to kidnap me."

"He what?" Ahsoka's jaw dropped open. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I'm mad that he kissed me, but I'm fine." Kara picked Alex up and bounced him, smiling as he giggled.

"He what?" Ahsoka hissed. "I need you to explain!"

Kara covered Alex's ears. "He's working for the Empire now and tried to capture me then he kissed me. He also threatened Alex's life and I told him I'd kill him if he touched Alex."

"Why did you kiss him?" Ahsoka demanded. "Wha- How- I'm so confused!"

Kara shrugged, taking her hands away from Alex's ears. "It just kinda happened. He was beating me up, then the next thing I know we're kissing."

"You're going to stay away, right?" Ahsoka put her hands on her hips. "Right?"

Kara cooed at Alex. "I should probably put him to bed now."

"Kara," Ahsoka icily said. "You're going to stay away from him, right?"

Kara went to the tiny bed in the corner and tucked Alex into it, saying goodnight.

"Kara." 

"Yes?" Kara innocently asked.

"Promise you'll stay away- No, promise me you'll get off this planet!" Ahsoka insisted. 

"I can't leave yet! I don't have enough credits to get transport," Kara gazed at Alex. "That kid eats a lot."

"I'd be more than happy to give you a ride," Ahsoka offered. "I could lend you some credits, too."

"Thanks, Ahsoka, but I wouldn't feel good about it." Kara headed to the sink and began scrubbing the dirty dishes. "Besides, my job is good enough and- Maker! What happened to me?"

"I was about to ask the same thing." Ahsoka laughed. 

"Can't you take him?" Kara pleaded. "He needs to be trained and I can't do that!"

"I never finished my own training," Ahsoka bitterly said. "I can't take on a Padawan."

"Thanks anyway." Kara finished with the dishes and moved to the clothes. They had already been cleaned and just needed to be folded. "From what I've seen you're talented and seem to know what you're king. But I'll respect your choice."

"I'll see you around then," Ahsoka warmly said. "And remember-"

"Not to go back to Rex! Yes I know!" Kara rolled her eyes. "I'm not stupid."

Ahsoka smiled. "Goodbye, then."

"But what if he left the Empire-"

"No!"

Kara huffed, scowling. "Then I promise I won't go and find him for some dumb reason."

"Good. I'll see you around," Ahsoka said before slipping out the door.

Kara sunk to the floor, tiredly rubbing at her face.