The Bearer of Bad News

Simon's Point of View:

Today, 2:49 PM:

For once, I never would have thought I would dread going home

For once, I never would have thought I would dread going home. I couldn't believe this news myself, let alone tell my wife what happened to her own mother. My heart was shattered when I found out what had happened, and no amount of time alone in my office did me any good. My eyes were puffy and dry after hiding my face behind my hands, in shock at the fact that I had cried harder than I could recall. I may have lost my own mother to murder, but something about seeing Kiera's mother murdered like that hit me harder. 

I knew I should've called Kiera immediately after reading her text, but I didn't want her to hear the strain in my voice and demand for answers when my time was limited while I was on duty. I wanted to be there in person to tell her as I felt that it was the least I could do instead of calling her to be the bearer of bad news knowing that she'd be crying until I got home. 

And the worst of it - she'd be alone

I was still waiting on the official autopsy report, even though I was dreading to read it. I was more than angry - I was enraged. Whoever killed Eva, they would die in a far worse way, and I was going to be sure of it. As much as I didn't like the fact that I would have to go undercover with this Hockley fellow for a weekend in prison to see if he would talk to me, I knew I could use it to my advantage by beating the information out of him if I had to knowing that I would have immunity. 

"You're still here, Lieutenant?" My Chief said from my office door, a concerned look on his face. "I figured you would've been heading home right now to... you know." 

"I'm getting ready to. Just trying to figure out how I'm going to tell Kiera what happened." 

"I couldn't imagine. You two have been through a lot, and this just makes it worse." 

"I don't care about what I've been through, Chief. I'm afraid that her finding out is going to send her over the edge. After having the baby, she's been suffering with post-partum depression, and just this morning, she was having a better attitude - her independence was coming back. And now, all of that is going to be torn apart." 

"Of course, but she's a tough woman, and I'd be afraid that she'd be more inclined to try the murderer herself knowing her." I knew he was trying to lighten the mood, but it didn't sit right with me. 

"Yeah," I scoffed. "That's what I'm worried about." 

"I'm sure you'll find out who did this. That's why I sent you out with Cook this morning." 

"Why?" 

"Because, you're one of the best guys I have on my team right now. Need I remind you that you helped solve four murder cases just last year in less than three weeks." 

"Just doing my job, Chief." 

"And you're damn good at it. Before you head out, I wanted to brief you on the assignment Detective Finley wants you involved with tonight. You're not to tell anybody at that prison that you're there undercover - even the guards. For all they know, you and this Hockley guy are in for suspected murder. That's all they need to know."