Mine

I know this chapter is probably pointless, but I've been in a "writer's block" for a while. I've been talking to a new guy in a county over from me for about four weeks, and we talked about hanging out again tomorrow since our first date went well, but all I keep thinking about is being stood up again. Even though so far he hasn't made me feel like he's going to, but I can't help but think I'm wasting my time or getting my hopes up. I also recently got an actual desktop computer instead of my laptop, and I enjoy it so far! I go back on call next week, so I'm hoping that I don't get a lot of calls after hours next week because last time, I was so exhausted. 

Enough about me, enjoy this little filler chapter. I'm sorry it's not much. 

*

Kiera's Point of View:

I felt shattered, yet it seemed like I was grumbling without cause. I possessed everything I ever desired: a wonderful husband, three perfect children, and a house to call our forever home. But why did I feel like I was losing it all?

I've endured the loss of my father, then my mother, and now a boy whom I cherished as if he were my own son. The future once terrified me, a sensation that was once familiar but dissipated when Simon and I met. With him, I felt a sense of security about my future, a stark contrast to the indifference towards life or death I felt before our paths crossed. 

Unfortunately, that feeling was creeping back into my mind. I wish Baler had shot me, and I ponder why he didn't. Yet, a part of me is grateful he didn't because I genuinely cherish my life with my husband and children.

I'm just thinking crazy, per usual.

Simon's protectiveness intensified after our conversation in the car. It felt smothering at times, but I understood it stemmed from his love and his desire not to leave me feeling isolated. He's familiar with that dark place himself—I'm certain of it, even though he hasn't shared the complete details.

I understood that he always had good intentions, yet I found myself teetering on the edge of mental exhaustion. I was in need of solitude or a change, although I was uncertain about what specifically required alteration.

"Love?" Simon chimed from behind the bathroom door, granting me a half hour of peace and quiet while I soaked in a bath before coming to check on me.

"Yeah?"

"Can I come in?"

"Yes," I replied with an annoyed tone. It wasn't that I was annoyed with him, but rather that I had only enjoyed a half-hour of quiet before he came to check on me. I knew I should be grateful, yet my state of mind wasn't where it needed to be.

Tears began to flow as soon as I noticed he had brought me a cup of chamomile tea. "I understand you might feel overwhelmed by my concern, but to be truthful, I can't stand the thought of you battling your mental struggles by yourself."

"I just... don't know how to feel, Simon," I sighed. "It's hard to explain—"

"Don't try to explain it, love. I know what you're going through, but I don't know exactly. All I know is that you're not going to do this by yourself."

"I know. I just don't know how to fix this."

"You don't need to fix anything. You need to heal," He corrected me, reaching towards my face to move a piece of hair out of my eyes. "I think I might have an idea."

"Hm?"

"You haven't ridden Cash in a while," He shrugged. "And I know riding him makes you happy."

"You're right, but I don't want to leave you here with the kids—"