Before

"Woah Danny Slow down!" Tucker shouted racing up to his long time friend.

Danny was running home happier than he had ever felt.

"No way Tucker, Sams already way ahead of us"

Tucker gasped for air by the time they finally reached his house. He was turning fourteen today.

It was such a happy day. He ate cake with his friends, opened presents (Sam didn't even comment on how the gifts were in non bio degradable plastic packaging) and watched scary movies.

Sam and Tucker had been allowed to stay over night, it was around midnight when the three clicked on their flashlights.

"Are you ready Danny?"

Danny nodded with a happy grin on his face.

"Woohoo! Test of courage!" Tucker scream whispered.

"Lets do this!"

The three made their way down the stairs, they had all made a silent agreement not to turn on any lights, to add to the ambience.

"OoOoh spooky" Sam whispered behind them.

"Sam! That's not funny, I almost peed my pants!" Tucker whined.

"Shhhh Tuck, don't be so loud" Danny whispered.

"Sorry Tucker whispered back.

The three creeped up to the basement door, turned makeshift lab.

It was always unlocked. A chill went up Danny's spine as he opened the door. Was he scared?

The three walked down the narrow steps, one after the other.

Danny flicked on the light switch and the lab lit up.

"Oh cool!" Tucker exclaimed running to the workbench littered in spare parts.

"You know those inventing genes didn't skip over me Tuck. I have skills in engineering too"

Sam snorted, "yeah, engineering a fantasy life in your head maybe"

"No, Jazz even recognized my talent. Besides I want to go-to space someday, It's essential to know all I can about rockets"

Sam was about to say something more when a giant cylindrical hole in the wall caught her attention.

"What's this?" She asked standing in front of it.

"Oh that, its my parents ghost portal, but it doesn't really work. They tried it but nothing happened"

"Hmm, yeah looks pretty useless to me. Who ever thought a portal was a good idea anyway"

Danny wondered.

He snuck a peek at the two, "I'm going in" he declared.

Sam raised her eyebrows, "ok that's reckless, but I mean it doesn't work right?"

Tucker came over, "I'm claustrophobic, you couldn't pay me to go in there"

"It more tech than goth. Not really my style" Sam commented.

Danny took a step inside, "it's like being inside the electrical hull of a rocket, this actually pretty-" he didn't finish that statement.

As Danny moved his foot, a wire snagged his ankle, he fell forward with a thud.

"You okay Danny?" Sam asked.

Danny picked up and untangled his foot.

"Yeah" he said as he worked to get the wire off, it finally dropped from his foot when his eyes glanced to his left and he noticed a lit up button on the side of the cylinder portal.