XI| Daphne gambles illegaly

The group made their way back down to the lobby, to come up with a plan.

"I know we're supposed to be saving the world," Percy said, "but would it be unprofessional if we just hung out here for a bit?"

Annabeth placed her hand on Percy's shoulder. "We find Hermes, we get him to hook us up with a ride to Los Angeles and a plan to get into the Underworld, and we are out of here ten seconds later."

Daphne looked ahead, past the games and spotted a bunch of people gambling. She smirked. "Can I gamble?"

Annabeth glared at her.

Daphne sighed. "I was kidding."

They were about to walk forward until Grover held out his hand. "Wait, hang on."

"What?" Percy asked him.

"Your mom told you all the stories. Did she read you the Odyssey?"

Daphne thought that was a bit of a random question to ask.

"The graphic novel." Percy shrugged, then added a "it counts" when he realised they all looked at him oddly.

"Odysseus lands on a beach. There's these guys who've forgotten where they came from, forgot everything that was important to them, and they got that way because they ate-"

"The lotus flower." Percy nodded.

"If we go in there and then forget everything, that would be bad on a number of levels." Grover said.

"But if Hermes is in there, though," Percy debated, "then what choice do we have?"

Percy turned to Annabeth. "What do you think, Wise Girl?"

"Just don't eat anything." Annabeth said, looking at Grover.

They began walking away.

"Wait, why were you looking at me when you said that?" Grover exclaimed, following behind them.

*•*

The trio of demigods plus the satyr headed further into the casino, where the gambling actually happened.

All around them, people were cheering and the chiming of the gambling machines could be heard.

"This place is a lot bigger than it looked from the outside." Grover said. "He could be anywhere."

Annabeth suggested an idea. "Let's split up."

"I thought we didn't do that anymore." Percy said to her. "Also, you guys have seen him before, but I haven't so I'm not gonna be much help alone."

Annabeth pointed. "Grover, go check that side of the floor. I'll take Percy this way. Daphne, you go check over there. One way or the other, we meet back in the lobby in twenty minutes."

"What do I say to him if I find him first?" Grover asked.

"Nothing." Annabeth told him. "Meet me here and you'll take me to him."

"Yeah, of course." Grover nodded.

*•*

Daphne, being Daphne, didn't even intend to look for her father. Why would she? He'd never looked for her.