XVIII| betrayals and boarding school?

Daphnes heart completely shattered into a million different pieces when she heard the news.

She was with Oliver and Valentina, playing a game of monopoly (which was turning out to be a nightmare) when it happened.

Oliver had just flipped the board over and Valentina and Daphne were shouting at him when Theo and Ellis came rushing in.

The moment Daphne saw their panicked faces her heart dropped to her stomach.

"What?" Valentina demanded, her facial expression mimicking theirs.

Oliver stared at them too, perplexed and his face full of confusion.

Daphne looked up, silently praying that they weren't going to say what they said next.

Theo and Ellis exchanged a look and at last Theo spoke. "It's Percy, Daphne you should really see this. He's-"

Theo didn't need to finish his sentence, Daphne ran out of the Ares cabin.

*•*

"Is he okay?" Daphne demanded the moment she entered the room.

Percy was propped up in bed in the sickroom of the Big House, his right hand bandaged like a club.

Argus stood guard in the corner. Annabeth sat next to him, holding my nectar glass and dabbing a washcloth on his forehead.

Chiron was sat near the food of the bed, in human form. "He'll be alright, Daphne. Don't worry."

That didn't calm Daphne down at all. "What happened?"

Annabeth looked up, a worried expression etched on her face. "We don't know, but Luke is missing-"

"What?" It came out as a whisper.

Her blood froze, her heart beat started to rapidly increase and her breathing came out as shaky.

Before she could speak again, Percy's eyes opened.

"Here we are again." He groaned.

"You idiot," Annabeth scolded, which is how Daphne knew she was overjoyed to see hum conscious. "You were green and turning gray when we found you. If it weren't for Chiron's healing..."

"Now, now," Chiron's voice said," Percy's constitution deserves some of the credit."

He smiled, but his face looked weary and pale, the way it did when he'd been up all night.

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

"Like my insides have been frozen, then microwaved." Percy said, which under any normal circumstance would've made Daphne laugh.

Yet, she didn't as the guilt washed over her. She should've told somebody about her suspicions sooner, Daphne scolded herself.

"Apt, considering that was pit scorpion venom. Now you must tell me, if you can, exactly what happened." Chiron said.

Between sips of nectar, Percy told them the story.

The room was quiet for a long time.