Chapter Twenty One: Unable

Annawrete was awake when Ezra climbed up her balcony. She sat on her bed, knees to her chest, awaiting him. She hadn't slept at all that night. "Quickly, let's go", Ezra whispered. She opened her mouth, but nothing came out. "Annawrete", Ezra came near. He then noticed her paleness and knew something was wrong. "You've changed your mind about leaving with me", he concluded. He ran a frantic hand through his hair, "You are my wife...". A little breath left Annawrete before a tear fell from her eye. "Thranduil will kill you. Darling, I beg, go with me", he pleaded with a heavy heart.

"Thranduil came to me last night", Annawrete said shakingly. "He did?" Ezra was now concerned. There was a one in fifty seven million chance that Thranduil would return her love and she had gotten lucky. Because of this, she knew she wouldn't be able to give herself fully to her husband again. Not the same way. And that was why she cried. Part of her was going to remain here, with Thranduil. "I got emotional with him", she cried further. "Did you get physical with him?" Ezra asked sternly. He knew the trouble a woman's emotions could get her into. Wiping her eyes, she gathered herself and brought her legs down from the bed. "It was only a kiss", she breathed before standing, "And I regret it now. Please, forgive me".

"My lord, we are not sure where Annawrete can be found", a guard answered the king a little after midday. There was still evidence of last night's party and many guests still lingered in the palace. Thranduil's heart weighed heavy to think she had ran away, he too had regret of what had happened between them, but he didn't expect her to respond this way. "Not all the horses were recovered yesterday", the guard said with remorse, "We can not tell whether she had taken a horse or not. There are fourteen horses still missing, and your elk is yet in shock---he refuses still to eat". Thranduil took a deep breath and waved the guard away.

Almost immediately after the guard left, Bard was ushered into the King's presence. He was holding a small box and Legolas and another guard was on either side of him. "It seems some of my people have wasted themselves at your expense", he began, "Please, accept this sum of wealth as my village's sincerest offering", Bard said as he opened up the box to reveal silver and gold along with two crystal embedded goblets. Thranduil flashed a smile, but he knew the offering didn't cover a fraction of the expense. "Legolas", he said. The crowned prince took the box from Bard and brought it to his king.

"Thank you for your generosity, the wine cups will be of good use to me", he chuckled. Bard laughed along, then when he regathered, he said, "Any half Elvin born to your elleths, we will take full responsibility for fathering them. The same is expected from your people, should any of our women bear half Elvin". There was no doubt some partook in sex last night, more likely among Bard's men and women. Even so, an agreement still had to be established concerning the possibility that there had been crossbreeding.

"There will be no half Elvins" Thranduil said, "Elves do not fornicate so loosely with one another, talkless of your race". Bard could've easily taken offense, but chose not to. "Never mind then", he said, "The last of my people will be leaving shortly". Thranduil responsed as Bard prepared to leave his presence, "I look forward to the successes our kingdoms will be to each other". With a nod, Bard was gone and Legolas was sent to see the box to the treasury.

Thranduil was interrupted during his visit to the stables a few minutes later. He had managed to get his elk to eat. However, with the news that came from his son, the king himself might as well have lost his own appetite. "Father! The treasury has been raided! Mother's necklace is gone!"

The three had traveled so far in one day. "Ezra, will we not stop now?" Annawrete groaned, "Mirkwood went out of sight several hours ago and my backside is so sore". Stella cocked her head in the couple's direction. "What the hell is she saying about me?" she assumed. Ezra gave her a side eye before he spoke, "She's tired of riding". Stella laughed, "Look who you've 'married'. She's so weak". The woman would've preferred that they left without Annawrete. Without another word to Stella, Ezra stopped the horse he shared with Annawrete. "We can stop here. Night will soon be upon us". He climbed off their horse and helped her down.

Dinner was consumed and tents made, the couple having a separate shelter from envious Stella. Within theirs, Annawrete was having trouble laying down with her husband. His hands were restless upon her. "Ezra, not tonight. I am unable", she spoke into the dark. He then turned her body so that she faced him, "My love, I ache for you". Annawrete so much as breathed next and one of his hands had slipped passed her underwear, the other was loosening her buttons.

The young woman was stiff, but she did not protest. Refusal was futile with him. As Ezra began to kiss down her neck, she closed her eyes and imagined Thranduil's lips were on her. She felt the king's hot tongue flick across her perky nipple, his loving hands caress her body. A moan escaped her lips as she relaxed within her imagination. Even as Ezra played with her, it was the king's slender fingers that plunged deep within her moisture. Annawrete's legs were soon wide apart, his weight upon her, their connection made by a large, thick, Elvin phallus. It was only after she was kissed on the lips that she awoke from fantasy with a bitterness in her mouth.