Chapter Twenty Five: Unappealing

A month had passed in Mirkwood since the birth of the half Elvin children. Nearly all the human mothers stayed until their child's father was identified. Some were successful in negotiating visitation rights, while others either declined or were denied them. All in all, goodbyes, whether for the time being or forever, are always difficult to do. The children remaining included the three claimed by the king (for they had Elvin mothers) and the two still needing their father's identified. 

"Perhaps they are of rank and are ashamed", Legolas conversed with his father. The two were discussing possible explanations as to why the last two fathers haven't been found. News of the half Elvin children was allowed to spread before Thranduil called for every elf that took a woman earlier in the year to present himself. If the mother was present, she would identify the elf, otherwise physical traits would be match between father and child.  "Perhaps that is the reason", Thranduil responded. The King knew that the whispers would be relentless should anyone of importance be identified, and that alone was enough for him to keep silent about Annawrete. With a heavy sigh, Thranduil turned to a nearby servant and asked for his guard captain, "Bring me Tauriel".

When Tauriel came to stand before her king and prince, she dropped to her knees to bowed. She remained like such until Thranduil asked her to rise. She then rose and both the king and the prince saw that she was very much so a different person.   When whereabouts of Annawrete and Ezra were discovered, Tauriel had not been permitted to go. Therefore, she knew only as much as the king---that Annawrete was dead.  Though she had grown distant from Annawrete while she lived among them, Tauriel felt the pain a mother would for her child. The guard captain also lost her chance at love. Quietly putting away her feelings for the prince once he took Charlotte to be his wife, Tauriel vowed not to love another. "I have a difficult task for you", Thranduil began. Putting on a face of strength the best she could, Tauriel voiced that she was ready and able and completely at His Majesty's will. "I have already claimed three", the king referred to the half Elvin born of Mirkwood's daughters, "I ask that you take two. The two waiting for their fathers to be identified". Since Tauriel had been an adoptive mother before, Thranduil saw no one more fit than she to take on such a task. "You will raise them as your own until their fathers are discovered", the king stood up from his throne, " It could take months, years, or even a lifetime".

The baby cried for a lifetime before Annawrete appeared at his crib side. She could not get herself to comfort the infant that laid there. Instead, she watched his tears fall, wanting to cry herself. It was only when a key came through the lock in the door behind her that Annawrete quickly picked up her child.

She kept her head down as she passed Ezra in the doorway with her baby. Annawrete managed to calm her son as they entered into the kitchen. Without setting him down, she began to bring out pots and pans for cooking. Dinner needed to be on the table or Ezra would become irritable with hunger. "Is he to help you cook?" Ezra teased. Annawrete, who kept her son on her hip, was silent at first. After contemplating, she answered back, "I rather keep him near, lest he cry again". In actuality, she was uncomfortable being apart from him when Ezra was home. Whenever she was, her ears were always listening in fear. Although he treats her well, he still locks her in the bedroom with the baby whenever he had to leave the house, and this to her was mad

They ate dinner quietly, Ezra stealing glances at her across the table from time to time. He wished to read her true thoughts and to know her honest desires, because his own paranoia was slowly ruining him. He had cut off her contact with the outside for fear that she would want to return to Thranduil, especially now that she bore him another son. Annawrete thought that he was punishing her for her infidelity, she believed she saw it in the way he looked at her son. Annawrete had not yet finished her meal when her baby grew restless. Ezra watched as she fought with her child to calm him before she discovered he was wanting to nurse. Annawrete had barely unbuttoned her blouse when Ezra probed, "Have you given him a name by now?"

Annawrete made sure that her baby had latched before looking up. "I've chosen Alto", she flashed her eyes. "Meaning?" Ezra asked her. He had mastered Sindarin, but could not draw a meaning. "It is derived from the word 'alt', meaning 'branch'...", Annawrete answered hesitantly, "In Noldorin...". A few seconds of silence passed them. "I suppose you have reason for the name...", Ezra said as he picked up his drink, "Considering circumstance...However, I want the children you bear me to all have Mannish names". He took a sip, waiting to see her reaction. Annawrete did not waiver, but instead adjusted Alto's head. She hadn't been with Ezra for months and if she could decide, it would remain that way. "Wait until this child is on his feet", Annawrete eventually said stiffly. If Ezra were merciful, she could mentally and emotional prepare herself to be used by him again, but what she truly hoped for was to escape him before then. Even if Thranduil locked her up in prison and took the baby from her, the rest of her life in the Elvin king's dungeon would still be fairer than days spent here.