Chapter Thirteen: Unleashed

Annawrete was laying on her side facing the wall with her knees to her chest. She had told Thranduil that the necklace was a gift from a friend who sailed to the Undying Lands three years ago. The lie was enough to silence the Elvin king because he had no way of disproving her claim. It wasn't uncommon for elves to give away possessions prior to sailing. Even though she was convinced that he was convinced, she felt uneasy about lying to him again for the sake of that man. The young woman had spoken truths all her life and was raised on honest principles. Why was it that she had now forsaken herself and ultimately her loyalty to the Elvin king?

She was still consumed with her thoughts when a few of her new roommates entered. The guards noticed her immediately; there really wasn't anywhere to hide within the room. It was a medium sized space and in the four corners were bunk-beds. Annawrete had taken a top bunk that did not appear to belong to anyone. "Annawrete?" Charlotte called up to her, "You've been assigned to our room?" 

Annawrete felt uncomfortable about going to the public baths. However, it was her only choice now. She followed Charlotte and her other roommates down to the area of the caves she had never been to. Other guards and a few other subjects were proceeding to the baths as well. "Do not worry. Male and female are separated", Charlotte assured Annawrete. The elleth had noticed her look of unease at the number of people coming to bathe. "The waters are always warm and the soap makers supply a new fragrance every week", she was trying to give her friend something encouraging to look forward to. Being stripped of the luxuries that came with having a personal room wasn't easy. 

Inside the changing chamber, Annawrete was given two towels and a bar of citrus smelling soap. Wooden bins were along the perimeter of the room and short benches were positioned  in the center. The elleths that were already there were either disrobing or dressing. None appeared to be ashamed of their bodies, some even walked around without towels about themselves. If Annawrete had not known already that she was different, she would've learned then from observing their Elvin bodies. Her own covered with noticeable imperfections and hair which she had to shave led her to further insecurities. Annawrete did not realize she had wasted her time trying to figure out where to avert her eyes to until Charlotte and the others stood before her ready to transition to the waters. She felt obligated to undress now; they were waiting for her. She gave them her back and began to remove her clothes. All the while she was blushing because she knew she would be unable to hide anything.

When the company reached the pools they took up two of them. Being that five persons to a pool would be too crowded, the company of eight had to be divided. Annawrete stuck with Charlotte and elleths called Cailwen and Nostariel. The air chilled Annawrete's flesh when she removed her towel in order to join the three. She led with her foot, unsure as to how to enter. The pools were depressions in the ground and one had to descend into them. In Annawrete's failure, she toppled in awkwardly and created a splash. When she resurfaced with a gasp for air, she was blushing again---the elleths had entered the water without causing a ripple it had seemed. "You are used to ascending up into the tub of your former room?" Cailwen assumed at Annawrete's demonstration. The young woman could only nod, not wanting to look at the elleth with perfect succulant breasts and strong long black hair.

The water was warm, just as Charlotte had assured. Once Annawrete was able to get over the awkwardness of bathing with others, she was able to enjoy it. Conversation was kept at times and at others there was silence. "You are far more beautiful than you think", Nostariel said out of nowhere. The elleth had been watching Annawrete's careful insecure moves as she bathed.  "Are you not of age? Why have you not begun a family?" she then questioned. Feeling a bit threathened with the inquiries, Annawrete retorted, "Well why haven't you? You are many times my age I'm sure". The elleth proceeded to rinse soap from her hair before shrugging, "A thousand years is as if a day and a day as if a thousand years". In other words, she wasn't on a clock. Annawrete was quiet at this and then she said, "The elf I had feelings for refused me because I am a mortal". She would never confess it to be the king. She continued, "If you ask around, not many elf will say they are willing to give up immortality". 

"If an elf is in love, he will be willing," Charlotte explained, "However, it is rare". Finished bathing, she began to climb out of the pool,"Perhaps it was fate that brought the strange man to our kingdom for that very reason". Annawrete climbed out after her, "You are not saying that he is to be my husband. Are you?" Charlotte was drying herself, "He loves you, Annawrete. He told me himself". The poor elleth was unaware of what she had just unleashed.