Chapter Twenty Eight: Unready

There was sound of rustling leaves and erratic breathing until it all drew to an end with a deep groan. Legolas rolled off his wife unto the forest floor in satisfaction. "You conceived this time, I just know it", he huffed. "However, I don't mind trying again if I'm wrong..."

Charlotte laughed in between trying to catch her breath. With leaves and twigs lost in her hair, she worked to shimmy her leggings back unto her hips. "You couldn't have waited until we reached Rivendell? Or a town with an inn?" She took a deep breath, attempting to be serious, but ended up erupting in laughter. She spreaded her tired limbs. "The ground isn't the most comfortable of places for this"

"I couldn't wait" Legolas turned unto his side to face her. "You've been pressed to me on horseback everyday since we left, I couldn't bare it anymore!" Call it a vacation or a second honeymoon if you will, but the tranquil and beautiful kingdom of Rivendell was where they were headed. It would make for them a wonderful breeding environment as they were determined to conceive a child before the year was over.

"Well now I want to rest for sure", Charlotte took hold of his face with one hand. "A proper rest, in a bed. Let's stop at the next town". She drew her lips to his and kissed him tenderly. She allowed her breath to linger under his nose before sitting up. Legolas took a few seconds to lace up his trousers before sitting up himself to join her. Their apparences were disarrayed, but they didnt care. They looked through the trees at the setting sun, knowing that they had about another hours or so before night fall.

They arrived with few minutes of light to spare. The streets were already clearing, with shops closing up and people on their way home. The couple received a few curious looks from those passing by, but were other wise welcomed. In searching for an inn, both began to recognize that they've been to this town before. However, because the recollection carried a bitter memory, neither choose to bring it up. This was the same town that they had cornered Ezra and Annawrete in and reclaimed the stolen treasures.

"Sorry, no room". This was a similar response at every inn that Legolas and Charlotte sought rest in for the night. "A great fire recently occurred in one of our neighboring villages, many of their inhabitants have taken up rooms here as they rebuild" an innkeeper informed them. "It will be difficult finding a place that has room for some time".

The elvin prince had thanked him and was to go on with his wife back into the forests, but the man called him back. "Have you tried the physician's home? Himself and his wife are lovely people, they have an extra room since their son has moved out, and I'm near certain it would not be asking too much of them since you are only needing room for one night".

Legolas looked to Charlotte to see what she thought before facing the innkeeper again. "I suppose we can try our luck once more".

"Go up this street and take the third right. The home is the second on the left". The innkeeper directed.

Upon arriving at the house, the question of whether the physican and his wife were even home stood at the forefront of Legolas' mind. The lantern on the porch was out.

"Let's just go Legolas", Charlotte decided. "Even if they are home, no lights mean they're probably already sleeping and don't wish to be bothered".

Before the elvin couple could turn around, the front door opened up to an older woman who proceeded to set a cat out on the front step. She looked a little startled when she noticed them, but being that her husband was a physician, it was not unusual for them to have visitors in the middle of the night. "Is all well?" She asked concerningly.

The prince of Mirkwood nodded. "As of physical health, all is well", he began, "But my wife and I are traveling and are in need of a place to stay over night. The inns are filled".

"Oh dear! Have you travelled far?"

"Sweetheart, who are you talking to?" A voice from within the home asked.

"There's a couple outside, honey. They've got nowhere else to go"

Truthfully, the elves always had the forests. Legolas and Charlotte would have resorted to the trees, like they had every night so far, if need be. A bed would have just been a comfort.

The physican appeared carrying a candlestick. Despite the light from the flame, he still needed to squint his tired eyes. "Sweetheart, they're elves!"

"Elves?"

"Elves!" said the physician as he extended his candlestick out further.

"Oh my!" The missus hadn't been unaware until then.

"Well speak 'friend' and enter!" The old doctor moved out of the doorway. Himself and his wife had a fascination and respect for elves, so much so that sheltering them even for one night was both an privilege and an honor. "You can tie your horse to the porch. Come in, come in!"

"I'm sorry the room is small. It was our son's", the wife, trying to be a good host, remained up to make sure her guests were comfortable. The physican needing sleep, had already retired. "He's out of house now, grown. Where are you two from?"

"The room is fine, thank you so much", Charlotte chimed as Legolas answered the question of where they were from.

"I suppose that makes sense", Jillian, as they came to learn, said. "Despite being far off, Mirkwood is the nearest Elvin settlement. It's a very rare thing to have elves in our village. I hope now that we are friends, my husband and I respect your race so much".

"You're kindness towards us definitely merits that of friendship", Legolas smiled after looking back at Charlotte who was smiling too.

Jillian returned the smiles then said, "Oh how I wish you two were staying more than just a night, there's just so much I want to learn of you and from you". She straightened out the room while she made her way towards the door. Adjusting this and that, she continued, "And it sure would be nice for the half-elvin born to the carpenter's wife to interact with other elvin beings. My husband delivered the child one night. Poor baby hardly leaves the house, same thing with his mother". In a hushed voice she uttered, "By the look of shock on the young man's face, there was clearly infidelity on the woman's part that he did not know about. Such a beautiful girl, I think its shame that keeps her indoors so much". Adjusting one last final thing, she ended full voiced, "Well I could chatter all night, but I won't. Sleep well, and if you need anything our room is just down the hall".

When they were left in silence and in the dark, Charlotte, in thought, began, "Legolas...A half-elvin boy? This means---"

"Melamin", Legalas interrupted, barely above a whisper. "I am tired".

*******
'Melamin' means 'My love'