44

Celine

I wake up from a nap at half seven and sit up. I grab my phone and decide to message Léo.

ME: Hi.

I wait for him to respond, but he doesn't. Maybe his phone is dead.

     I climb out of bed and stand on shaky legs, using my IV drip as support. I wheel it behind me as I slowly make my way out of my bedroom and down the hall, to Léo's bedroom.

     I knock on the door as tiredness begins to consume me.

     "Yeah?" Léo shouts.

     I walk in and smile. He's at his desk, scribbling in a notebook. He turns around and looks at me. I expect him to smile, or to come help me, but he doesn't. He even looks a little uncomfortable.

     "Hi."

     "Hey." He responds.

     "Do you wanna watch our show?" I ask hopefully.

     "No, thanks. I've got homework."

     I frown, "oh, okay. Later, then?"

     "Maybe. There's a lot I have to do."

     "Alright." I whisper, beginning to wring my hands. "Bye." My voice cracks a little as my eyes water, but he doesn't notice either of those little details. I begin to walk back out of his room, growing even more exhausted by the moments. I stumble, but manage to right myself, only to then trip and fall onto the floor.

     A door opens and loud footsteps rush over to me. I look up hazily at Camilo, who has concern written all over his face. "Dad!" He shouts, so loudly it could blow the house down.

     Tears begin to fall down my face. He crouches down beside me and pulls my head onto his lap, wiping my tears for me as they keep coming. Distantly, I hear my dad's voice, but it's muffled.

     "CeCe, baby." He says, lifting me into a sitting position. My head falls onto his chest, and he wraps an arm around me. "What happened, sweetheart?"

I exhale a heavy breath. "I'm tired."

"You should've stayed in bed, Celine." Camilo says.

"I wanted to watch our show.." I whisper.

"With Léo?" Camilo asks.

I nod.

"He didn't help you back to your room?" Camilo asks.

"It's okay.." I whisper.

     "Let's get you back into your bed." My dad says, standing, lifting me up with him. I groan, and he leans down to kiss my cheek. "It's okay, baby. You're okay."

"Daddy.." I whisper.

"Hm?"

"I'm.. I'm gonna go to the Olympics."