49

Adrien
One week later

Celine is having another surgery, two days before Christmas.

     She's in the hospital gown, a frown on her face as she kicks her legs loosely from where she's sitting on the bed. She hasn't said anything since we got here. No one really has.

     Nic, Léo and Julien are here. There wasn't enough room in the car for everyone else, and Celine said she didn't want lots of people coming because it made her feel uncomfortable.

     I stand from the sofa chair I'm on, then sit beside her. Wordlessly, I wrap an arm around her shoulders and tuck her into my side. She doesn't move, however her shoulders relax a little bit.

I lean down and kiss her cheek. "Are you okay?"

She nods, continuing to kick her legs. We sit in the room for a few more minutes before a nurse comes to get her.

"Do you want me to come with you this time?" I ask her.

She nods.

"Okay." I smile. "Come on." I help her off the bed, then we go over to the nurse. "I'll be back in a minute."

"Can we not come?" Julien asks.

Celine frowns.

"Only one family member is allowed, I'm afraid." The nurse says. "Come on, Celine." She urges.

I don't leave the hospital. My sons come and go, as do my parents, but I stay outside of the room Celine will be brought to. Celine's new nurse has arrived, so since we have her I'll be able to take her home later.

Hours pass before I finally see her bed being wheeled back. I stand. One of the doctors beside her walks over to me, a regretful look on her face that squashes my hope.

     "I'm sorry, Mr. Monet, but Celine's surgery was unsuccessful."

     I don't hear anything else after that. She guides me into my daughter's room and I sit down beside her and hold her hand. It's cold, and her fingers begin to move after another couple hours.

I look up at her as her eyes open. She blinks the tiredness out of her eyes, and without looking at me, whispers, "mum?"

My heart cracks. "Celine." I say softly, standing. She slides her eyes over to me and confusion shines inside of them before they spark with recognition.

"Dad." She mumbles.

"Hm?"

"Don't.. don't argue w-with mum when she gets here please." She says sleepily. I furrow my eyebrows. "It'll make my head hurt. It's loud." I can barely understand her, but I manage to.

"Don't worry, baby." I whisper. I kiss the back of her hand, and her eyelids begin to droop. "You go back to sleep. I'll be here when you wake up."

She does.

When she wakes up, Mateo, Nic and Celine's new nurse: Kasey, are here, and there's a wheelchair beside me ready for her to go in.