chapter 1: coffee to go

Sol was carefully crafting the latte art of the month, a cat made with steamed almond milk, when the sound of the bell rang throughout the small coffee shop

Sol was carefully crafting the latte art of the month, a cat made with steamed almond milk, when the sound of the bell rang throughout the small coffee shop. She looked up from the coffee cup in her hands to see that a new customer had just entered.

"Morning!" she smiled at the man standing in front of the counter. "I'll be right with you."

A specially curated RnB playlist is played in the background. At the same time, the morning sun illuminated the room with a soft golden hue. A couple sat at the table next to the window, huddled over some notes and books.

An older man sat on the green sofa near the entrance with a crossword puzzle and a pastry. Hundreds of books covered the space, on tables, floor, and bookcases. The air felt peaceful, just like Sol intended it to be since she opened her doors.

Rayito de Sol is the name of a coffee shop, paying homage to the owner's Puerto Rican roots and her name.

As she hands a cappuccino to a teenage girl, she calls out her name and smiles. She then wipes her hands on her dark green apron and approaches the counter to assist the next customer.

"Sorry for the wait," she says apologetically to the man waiting in line. "How can I help you today?"

The man's smile lights up, his hands resting casually in the pockets of his dark gray slacks. Sol can't help but admire the way his black button-down sleeve fits him perfectly, accentuated by the glint of a gold watch on his left wrist.

As he scans the menu, his eyes flicker with interest at the array of coffee varieties and combinations. Sol watches him from behind the counter, fidgeting with a pen in her hand. It strikes her as funny how this is the first truly attractive man she's seen since moving to Seattle, especially considering the constant stream of people passing through her shop every day.

She steals glances at him whenever she can, admiring his green eyes and the effortless way he carries himself. It's as if he belongs in a romantic movie or a high fashion magazine. Sol couldn't help but wonder if fate has brought him here, to her little coffee shop, on this ordinary day.

"Yes," he says with a charming grin. "I would like a caramel latte with almond milk and two espresso shots."

"Of course. Would you like that for here or to go?"

"To go, unfortunately," he replies, his eyes sparkling with mischief. "This place is stunning. I can't believe I've never been here."

Sol beams at his compliment, feeling a rush of warmth spread through her. "Thank you! It's my pride and joy," she says, her voice carrying a hint of playfulness. "What's your name?"

"Jackson."

She smiled and wrote it on the to-go coffee cup. "Perfect, Jackson. Your coffee will be ready soon."

"Thank you..." His eyes rested on the nametag on her apron. "Sol."

Her heart quickened as he said her name, and she quickly moved to the espresso machine to prepare his drink. With a skillful hand, she measured the perfect ratio of freshly ground espresso beans, her movements fluid and precise. The rich aroma of coffee filled the air, blending with the scent of steamed milk and sweet caramel syrup.

"You have a lovely name. What does it mean?" Jackson leans in, resting his elbows on the counter and propping his chin on his hands, his eyes sparkling with genuine curiosity.

Sol's heart skips a beat at his question, and she can't help but feel a flutter of excitement. "Thank you," she says, her smile brightening as she looks up from the milk frother. "It means sun in Spanish."

Sun, Sunshine, Sol.

Jackson's eyes light up with recognition. "Are you from Puerto Rico?" he asks, leaning against the counter.

Sol nods, a fondness evident in her voice. "Yes, I am. Born and raised."

Jackson gestures towards the flag hanging proudly behind the couch and the ocean pictures adorning the walls. "I figured as much," he remarks with a playful grin.

Sol finishes making Jackson's coffee, expertly swirling the steamed almond milk into a perfect white heart before snapping the lid in place and handing it over with a smile.

As she watches him take the first sip, a sense of satisfaction washes over her. She takes a moment to reflect on the significance of the Puerto Rican flag in her shop, It's more than just a decoration, it's a symbol of her heritage, a reminder of her roots, and a tribute to her family.

Sometimes, she needs to remind herself of these things, especially when the memories of home feel distant. Her mother always told her never to forget where she came from, and Sol has made a promise to herself to honor that.

Jackson's delighted expression as he takes another sip brings her back to the present. "Oh my God, this is amazing," he exclaims. "This might be the best coffee I've had in a long time."

"Really? That's great to hear," she replies, her smile widening. "Does that mean you'll be coming back soon?"

"You got it." He smiled and placed his coffee on the counter to retrieve his wallet from his back pocket. "How much do I owe you?" he asked.

She waved her hand in dismissal. "It's on the house," Sol replied with a smile, taking a rag to wipe down the counter.

Jackson began to protest, but she stopped him by lifting her hand. "Come on, tell me how much I owe you," he insisted, the sides of his eyes crinkling with his soft smile.

Sol struggles to hold back a smile that threatens to spread across her face. She doesn't want to admit that she prevented him from getting coffee so she could have more time to talk to him, but she can't deny that he is handsome.

"You have given me more than enough of a reaction. Just promise me you will make this your regular coffee spot from now on."

"It's a deal." Jackson grins, puts his wallet back in his pocket, and takes the coffee cup again. "See you soon, Sol."

After giving her a small wave, he walked out the door. Sol let out a breath she didn't know she was holding and hoped to see him again.