chapter 11: the grudge (tw: mentions and details of violence)

Sol felt immense pain

Her entire body throbbed so intensely that it seemed to travel throughout every crevice. It was a deep, agonizing pain that persisted with every breath she took in. Her left arm was in a cast, as well as her right foot, making it difficult to find a comfortable position during the night. She slowly opened her eyes and blinked, helping them adjust to the harsh white light. Once she could focus, she slowly turned to see Jackson sleeping on the chair next to her.

Her expression softened at his slumbering form, knowing the trauma he had endured for the last forty-eight hours, but even then, seeing him bent weirdly made her feel even more guilty.

"Mi amor," she croaked out, her voice barely above a whisper. "Jackson."

Jackson stirred awake, his eyes wide and in a panic. He was instantly at her side, with her hands in his. "You okay? What do you need?"

Her heart ached at his worry, the lines on his face deepening as he glanced over her. She smiled slightly, slowly reaching out and cupping his cheek.

"I'm fine," she whispered, her voice hoarse. "Sorry for waking you. I feel bad that you have to sleep like that."

"Don't apologize," Jackson murmured, his voice soft. "I will sleep standing up if it means I'll wake up next to you."

Sol felt tears prickle at the back of her eyes at his words and devotion towards her, her bottom lip trembling. "I love you so much," she whispered. "I thought I was never going to see you again."

"I will never let that happen," he said before kissing her hand. "You are my life, I love you."

As the knock on the door interrupted their tender moment, Sol and Jackson exchanged glances, both reluctant to let go of each other. With a sigh, Jackson stood up, offering Sol a reassuring smile before heading to the door.

Opening it, he was met by Bailey and Owen, their expressions somber. Bailey spoke up, her voice gentle given the situation.

"The police are here to take your statement, Sol. It's important to do it as soon as possible while the details are fresh in your mind."

"I don't think so," Jackson's brow furrowed in concern, his protective instincts kicking in. "It's too soon for that. She just had surgery."

Bailey's expression softened at Jackson's concern, understanding his desire to protect Sol, especially given the events that transpired. She glanced at Owen before focusing his attention back on Jackson and Sol.

"We will ensure that Sol is as comfortable as possible," she assured them.

"Can Jackson stay while I give my statement?" Sol said softly, her voice barely audible over the bustle of the hospital room.

"Yes, he can stay," Owen replied with a soft smile, his eyes filled with sympathy.

Sol nodded, feeling gratitude in her chest as she reached out her hand to Jackson. "Thank you," she said sincerely to both Bailey and Owen.