chapter 5: right where you left me

"How are you feeling, Miss Rivera?"

Sol slowly opened her eyes, squinting against the harsh glare of the hospital lights. As her vision adjusted, she found herself face to face with a woman whose curly hair framed her face like a halo. The doctor's smile was warm and inviting, belying the seriousness of the situation.

"I've been better," Sol replied with a grimace, her voice strained with discomfort as she shifted on the hospital bed.

The doctor's smile remained unwavering as she introduced herself. "My name is Dr. Pierce, but you can call me Maggie. I treated you a few hours ago in the emergency room. Do you remember me?"

Sol shook her head slightly, her memory still foggy from the chaos of the earlier events. "Not really," she admitted, feeling a pang of embarrassment at her confusion.

Maggie nodded understandingly, her expression sympathetic. "That's alright, it was quite chaotic," she reassured Sol, her tone gentle.

Sol mentally dubbed the physician "the pretty doctor" as she listened to Maggie's explanation. She peered at the image displayed on the tablet, her brows furrowing as Maggie highlighted the protrusion wrapped around a vein.

"You have an aortic aneurysm," Maggie explained calmly, her words sending a chill down Sol's spine. "It's obstructing the artery that carries blood through your chest and torso."

Sol's heart sank at the diagnosis, a wave of anxiety washing over her. "Is this why I can't breathe?" she asked, her voice trembling slightly.

Maggie nodded in confirmation. "Yes, but don't worry. We can fix it. We just need to go in and clip it."

She asked, "How long will it be until I return to work?"

Maggie responds, "You should be able to resume normal activities within four to six weeks."

Sol shakes her head and declines the offer of more oxygen, stating that she can't close the coffee shop for too long and needs to return immediately. The monitor next to her starts beeping faster as her heart rate increases. In desperation, Sol starts pulling at her IV, unable to bear the thought of all the hard work she has invested in the coffee shop going to waste. She had risked everything and left everything behind, only to see it crumble due to a heart bulge that seemed so stupid.

"Sol," Maggie tightly grabs her hands. "If you don't have this surgery, your aneurysm will burst, and you could die. Take a deep breath."

Sol pauses, gasping for air as tears stream down her face. "Why did this happen?" She can't stop the sobs wracking her body. "I was fine."

After witnessing Sol's slight panic attack, Maggie spoke softly and comforted her. "You can have this fixed and continue living a normal life. You will be fine," she said.

Sol silently agrees to the surgery, nodding in defeat. She tries to control her intrusive thoughts on how her life is now ruined and circling the drain.