chapter 7: nervous

A couple of weeks later

Sol entered the hospital, her heart set on a mission. In one hand, she carried a tote bag filled with a delicious lunch, and in the other, a thermos brimming with hot coffee. As she weaved through the bustling hallways, her eyes sparkled with anticipation, searching for the man with the mesmerizing green eyes. Finally spotting him in the lobby, wholly engrossed in his work at the front desk, her smile widened.

Ever since their vegetable day, as Sol likes to call it, the two have been virtually inseparable. They were either at her apartment or his when they didn't have to work or when Jackson didn't have Harriet. The normalcy in the relationship being comforting to both of them and the routine of waking up with each other always made them feel rested.

"Excuse me, Dr. Avery," she said softly, her voice sweet with affection, "I seem to have an appointment."

Jackson looked up, surprised, lighting up his green eyes. "Babe" he exclaimed, a smile spreading across his face. "What are you doing here?."

"I thought I'd bring you your lunch," Sol replied, stepping closer. "You forgot it when you left this morning."

His smile grew wider as he set aside his work. "I wouldn't have forgotten if you hadn't made me late," he teased, reaching for her hand. "But it was worth it." Leaning in, he placed a gentle kiss on her lips.

The atmosphere shifted abruptly as Jackson's mother, Catherine, appeared, surprising both of them. Her presence created an awkward tension into the air, and she looked down on Sol, her disapproval evident.
"Jackson, dear, who is this?" Catherine's tone was chilly, her eyes assessing Sol with thinly veiled judgment.

Jackson's expression faltered momentarily, caught off guard by his mother's unexpected interruption. Clearing his throat, he quickly composed himself.

"Mom, this is Sol," he said, his tone attempting to defuse the tension. "She's... she's my girlfriend."

Sol shifted uncomfortably under Catherine's scrutinizing gaze, but she managed a polite smile. "It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Fox," she said, trying to maintain her composure despite the awkwardness of the situation.

"Hmm," she murmured noncommittally, her eyes flickering between Jackson and Sol. "Well, it's certainly unexpected to find you here, dear. But I suppose we all have our reasons for visiting hospitals."

Jackson shot his mother a warning look, silently urging her to drop the subject. "Mom, Sol was just bringing me my lunch," he interjected.

Catherine nodded, though her expression remained guarded. "Of course, dear. Well, I won't keep you from your lunch break any longer. It was... interesting to meet you, Sol." With a stiff nod, she turned to leave, leaving behind a palpable tension.