chapter 2: the coffee beans flew

The sound of Jackson's feet hitting the pavement echoed across the empty park, breaking the stillness of the early morning hours

The sound of Jackson's feet hitting the pavement echoed across the empty park, breaking the stillness of the early morning hours. Redrum by 21 Savage blasts through his headphones and the sun is just starting to peek out behind the trees, painting the sky in different shades of orange.

He felt peaceful and light. The more he picked up the speed, the more effortless he felt as chased that runner's high. Running early in the mornings helped him get in the correct headspace for the day and he also loved running as the city slept, the quietness always helped him think.

He glances at his watch quickly. 6:30 am. Twenty more minutes to finish the workout of the day before another day at the hospital.

Same routine. Rounds in the morning, consults, one or two surgeries. Same old routine.

He exits the park as he runs, the buildings and cars blurring past him. The morning commute picks up as he stops in a light jog at a crosswalk, waiting for his time to go.

The smell of coffee filters through the air as he crosses to the street leading to his apartment. His mouth waters when he thinks about the coffee from the previous morning. He also thinks of Sol. How excited she got when he liked the coffee, her accent which made her more endearing.

Suddenly, he found himself standing in front of Rayito de Sol. He peers through the glass, seeing Sol quickly wiping down the counters around the register. There are no customers

Her black hair is up in a high ponytail, and her dark green apron is wrapped tightly across her waist. She's bobbing her head up and down as she sings along to whatever song she's listening to. 

Jackson takes a breath and pushes the door open, sounding off the little bell. Taking his headphones off and resting them on his neck, he's greeted by the sounds of Butterfly Effect by Travis Scott.

"Drop the top, pop it, let it bang," Sol sings as she grabs the latest coffee beans to insert into the grinder.

Jackson stares at her with a slight smile and wide eyes. She hadn't noticed that he was standing there, probably couldn't hear the bell with all the music. Sol moves around the coffee shop completely lost in the music.

He steps towards the counter and leans on it, looking at her. He can't stop his eyes from trailing her body. She's petite in frame, her nails are perfectly manicured with a deep red polish. On her wrist, he sees a small line tattoo in the shape of a shell contrasting against her olive skin.

The song fades to an end, filling the empty shop with silence.

"Good Morning."

"¡Ay Dios Mio!" Sol gasps as she turns around.

Coffee beans fly from the packet in her hand landing all over the floor. She places a hand on her chest to control her breathing and kneels on the floor to start cleaning up.