12. At Peace

A dreamy sigh escaped Seonghwa's lips. He shuddered under the hands trailing up his sides, bunching his shirt along to caress over his chest. Cold lips pressed to his nape, kissing the mark on his skin that was ablaze with the magic fuelling it.

When hard nails scratched over Seonghwa's nipples, his torso lurched, instinctively pressing towards the sensation. His sigh turned into a strangled moan and his body fell back against Hongjoong. His many layers of robes cushioned Seonghwa's lean shape and held him upright when the necromancer's lips ghosted up to his ear.

"Don't," Seonghwa sighed, not pushing him away. A hand explored south, caressing Seonghwa's fluttering stomach and toward his middle. They grazed lazily over his current place of interest and Seonghwa squirmed.

"I have to go down to the village." Seonghwa turned his head to gaze at Hongjoong and earned a wry smirk back. Hollow eye sockets studied him, but Seonghwa found them so pretty.

"You can leave anytime," Hongjoong suggested, not letting go of his embrace. He caressed Seonghwa idly, making him shudder and tremble as he so desperately wanted to stay.

So weak to this, Seonghwa almost gave in. Wanted to move his plans to a different date so he could indulge in the heat of their bodies and the draw pulling him to Hongjoong's unique charm.

But this was important. Seonghwa needed to see Jongho before he left. If he ignored this, trouble might brew.

Even if Hongjoong assured Seonghwa he would protect him no matter what. Would unleash his magic if anyone would come for them. Seonghwa wanted no more fighting. Neither side deserved to get hurt.

Thus, he wound himself against the sweet lure of his lover. He finally managed to twist around, facing him so Hongjoong would stop teasing him and his hands rested on the small of Seonghwa's back. His mischievous grin was so handsome and San and Mingi snickering behind his back reflected his thoughts.

Seonghwa ran his hands down the outline of Hongjoong's chest and settled them on his waist. He leaned in for a kiss, calming their yearnful bodies.

Later. They would have time once their lives weren't threatened.

Their lips melted into one and they were as warm as before their fallout. They didn't haunt each other anymore, no longer nervous about each other. When their opposing sides became one to share temperatures and the tingling touch of their skins, Seonghwa knew he wanted to stay here. Not to become a sacrifice. Not as his last resort.

They figured things out. Seonghwa went back to the village, and he buried the finally peaceful body of his mother. He said goodbye in the graveyard, that was no longer haunted by hissing spirits. After packing every belonging left to him from his home, he made his way back up to the mountain and returned to the tomb. While he was gone, Hongjoong freshened up the bed for him and lit some fires to keep him warm.

It took Seonghwa two days to regain his wits. He was mostly by himself, gathering his thoughts and repeating that long conversation during sleepless hours. He cried about losing his parents and he clutched his hands to his fluttering heart when he understood Hongjoong was still very important to him. That this didn't have to be the end.

They pieced Seonghwa's life back together. Hongjoong kept his distance to leave Seonghwa some room and very soon, Seonghwa asked Yunho to find Hongjoong for him so they could spend time together.

A dreamy sigh stifled between their lips. Hongjoong's tongue warmed under Seonghwa's and, though parting was so difficult, Seonghwa finally did it. He breathed against Hongjoong's lips for a yearnful moment, then he stepped back.

They still wanted each other. Still wanted to be in each other's arms.

Seonghwa chose him and now he just needed to make sure the village wouldn't drive them apart. He cared for Hongjoong and wanted peace for both of them.