2. The Hidden Tomb

With his coat swaddled around his shoulders, Seonghwa pulled the door into the lock quietly. After a moment of waiting with bated breath, nothing moved inside. Relieved not to have woken his mother, Seonghwa distanced himself on his tiptoes. A thick layer of snow had fallen in the night, hiding the paths under its cold spread. Though the drowsy flocks of white eased into a light flurry, Seonghwa shouldn't stay out for too long, lest he didn't find his path back down to the village.

After greeting a boy on a walk with his dog, both missing an ear, Seonghwa made his way away from the drowsy yet sick village. He so easily forgot its suffering while they were cooped up inside the safety of their homes. But as soon as the sun unveiled their gruesome suffering that had no healing, Seonghwa's heart sank. He noticed the gazes of envy, of suspicion. Was well aware of how they profited off his strength yet wished he also lost it so they could all suffer together.

In his dreams, Seonghwa wished himself back to the time a year ago when everyone had still been fine. When they all laughed together, working and living alongside.

So many friends lost. And by now, everyone but Seonghwa was sick. Only waiting for the time their last breath shuddered through their battered bodies. 

Getting approached by the priest had become such a dreadful occasion. But even the priest was sick... might not be there anymore to send everyone off.

Shivering in the chilly morning air, Seonghwa found the path winding up the mountain. The graveyard overlooked the village from above. A sunny spot on the hill, blessed by the skies where the village ducked into the shadow of the forest. From a distance, Seonghwa could spot the familiar tombstones powdered by snow. So many more since recently.

Watchful of his step, Seonghwa made his way up. The climb was treacherous when he couldn't tell how high the snow piled and where he stepped upon bending branches instead of solid ground. Slowly and under the watchful eyes of the crows cawing at him in either mockery or cheer, Seonghwa made his way up. His breath formed white clouds before his face and dark hair fell into his face, overgrown to protect his ears and neck in winter. 

Not cold thanks to his coat and the collar, Seonghwa soon crossed the threshold between the gloomy valley and the hillside doused in the morning sun. The clouds cleared for him to wander a glittering spread of pure white. Healed by the warm caress against the fear in his heart, Seonghwa sighed. He wished to bring his mother here, to see her bask in the sun and grow strong and healthy. Wished having a cure was as easy as visiting this place.

During the day, the plateau bearing their dead wasn't scary. Wreaths of pine and berries wished well upon their deceased. The memories of friends and family greeted Seonghwa as if coming home after a long journey. And when he halted before his father's grave, the wilted leftovers of his favourite poppies looked elegant under their frozen capes. 

Fond, Seonghwa smiled down at the carved rock.

"Hello, father." Kneeling to dust the snow off the grave, Seonghwa fixed the wreath and added some thistle he picked up on the way. Made the remembrance of his father prettier. "I missed you, so I came to visit." He was about to continue talking about the village and his mother, about missing him, when he noticed the trail of footprints to his left. They had halted at the same grave, but they weren't Seonghwa's.

He had seen no traces leading up from the village. Where did these come from?

Confused about who might be visiting this grave aside from him, Seonghwa rose. He swiped his eyes along the area, but nothing moved. In serene silence, winter relished the touch of the sun. 

Hesitant, Seonghwa peered down at the sleepy village doused in shadows and illness. He should return soon. Shouldn't dawdle.

But Seonghwa noticed nothing peculiar. No haunting whispers and no shadows in the corner of his eye. Did a villager get stuck up in the mountains and didn't dare make the way down? Tried to find an alternative route?