4. Becoming a Helper

Seonghwa didn't tell his mother the entire truth. He didn't want to worry her with talk of ghosts and purple flames in a cave, so he only mentioned he met someone in the mountains and that he might visit them occasionally.

His mother smiled, glad he was finding friends and having fun. She often felt guilty about burdening him with her maintenance, and since Seonghwa felt just as guilty if he left her alone, he was glad to submit to his curiosity this time.

The next morning, Seonghwa got up early to pump the well and chop some wood. He finished his work in the village in record time and when he finally exhaled into the wintry air, his shoulders and back ached from working hard. Still, he didn't dawdle and climbed the mountain hastily. He greeted his father, but the shadows of their graveyard wouldn't take form for him even when he addressed them. Figuring they only felt comfortable in Hongjoong's proximity, Seonghwa was even more intrigued as he scurried up the ridge. Thankfully, Hongjoong's feet traced through the fresh snow today as well, so Seonghwa didn't lose his way in the ever-shifting landscape.

Out of breath, but with a big grin on his flushed cheeks, Seonghwa was giddy to assure himself yesterday hadn't been a dream and he truly would help this mysterious person with his plans and then also attempt to save the village.

If they succeeded, Seonghwa might be able to save a lot of people. Or at least work together with the court physician Wooyoung ran to fetch.

The cave was the same as the day before. Haunting in its beauty and filled with whispers and murmurs. The purple light danced over the walls as Seonghwa felt his way along the rough rock until it turned into smooth bricks.

Hongjoong was at his table today as well, and he stirred in a cauldron. To Seonghwa, he looked terribly lonely. Though he seemed unperturbed and his figure was steadfast, it was small in the grand room. Only accompanied by the whispers of the dead, wouldn't anyone go mad after some time?

Determined to show he was worthy company with his living, warm personality, Seonghwa hopped down the stairs to greet him.

"You came," Hongjoong noted without looking at him before Seonghwa even got to open his mouth. Surprised, Seonghwa sent him a crooked grin. He would have to get used to Hongjoong's extraordinary character, but after sleeping for a night, he wasn't half as scary as Seonghwa initially thought. Somehow, the clicking bone belt and the haunting chill of his voice had their charm.

Perhaps Seonghwa yearned for the friendship of someone who wasn't wasting away from the disease. Intrigued by this new person in his life, he huddled to Hongjoong's side and peered into his cauldron. Clawed fingers sprinkled ingredients into the eerie-looking black mixture. Its scent was sweet, yet nothing Seonghwa regarded as safe to drink.

"Of course. I want to help you," Seonghwa replied, and Hongjoong nodded to himself. His eyes were covered today as well, and he looked no different from yesterday. Did he even sleep?

So full of questions, Seonghwa peered up at the beckon of a clawed finger.

"Go into that room and around the fallen pillar. You will find a patch of plants in it. Retrieve some for me." Hongjoong didn't hesitate to put him to work. Earnest about his help, Seonghwa fixated his eyes on the entrance Hongjoong pointed to.

"What do you need?"

"Black henbane, jimson weed... Two of each. The drawings are in this book." Hongjoong handed him the open page and pointed at the two he needed. Hastily, Seonghwa scurried off. He rounded the curious shadows out of respect and explored deeper into the underground cave system of the old castle. Several chambers spread from the main area. The corridors were lined with lesser graves and chased shudders down Seonghwa's spine, but his surroundings were clean and well-lit. Hongjoong must tend to the tomb daily.