6. Sparks Fly

Smut warning!

*****

Shy confusion turned into nights spent lying awake thinking of the sudden confession. Those turned into slowed steps and blushing cheeks before the entrance of the cave. And soon, Seonghwa found himself hidden behind a tree in the forest with Hongjoong's name on his lips and his hand down his pants.

Nature took its natural flow, and Seonghwa's curiosity never stopped growing. He also liked Hongjoong. He knew he did. As someone utterly new to the scary world of romance, Seonghwa found himself both hesitant and eager to learn.

So far, Hongjoong had been such an excellent teacher to him.

Another week passed, and Seonghwa was jumpier around him. Breathed in Hongjoong's scent when he was near, yet couldn't meet his eyes. Skittered whenever Hongjoong lifted his head from his books. When Seonghwa could no longer contain his questions - or was it the need in his stomach? - he finally spoke up.

"I also like you," he told Hongjoong next to his big cauldron.

A smirk dashed over the embalmer's lips.

"Do you, now?"

"I... I think so. I'm not sure. I've never been with someone."

Slowly, Hongjoong's pale face turned towards him. No eyes assured him with warmth, yet somehow he understood. His fingers lowered his book.

"Do you want to try it out?" He asked, not pushing, just offering.

Seonghwa's heart jumped into his throat. He nodded shyly and ignored the giggles of the playful spirits.

Hongjoong left his cauldrons to their cooking and took Seonghwa's warm hand with his cold one. He brought him to one of the backrooms, the dusty study with the matching bed Seonghwa had never seen Hongjoong sleep in. After muttering at the ghosts to allow them some privacy, he joined Seonghwa, who played with nervous fingers on the side of the bed. An icy hand caressed over his cheek and Seonghwa leaned into it.

Hongjoong wasn't scary to him anymore. His appearance was peculiar, but his touch was always gentle. When Seonghwa nuzzled into his palm, no fear made his heart flutter, only excitement.

When Hongjoong dipped down to him, his dangling bone necklace clicked in a melody Seonghwa distinctly associated with him. His scent of myrrh and candle wax. The voice that whispered ancient formulas yet greeted Seonghwa so kindly.

Seonghwa stretched to meet him in a kiss. Hongjoong's lips were cold, but soft, and they quickly warmed up from Seonghwa's touch. Though Seonghwa didn't know how to kiss, Hongjoong didn't seem to mind. He moved slowly, exploring Seonghwa just the same until they figured out what worked best for them.

As Seonghwa lifted cautious hands to cradle Hongjoong's face and tug him closer, he wondered if Hongjoong had ever kissed someone before. If there had been others to dispel his loneliness.

Nervous fingertips brushed the band of Hongjoong's black blindfold. But as they pondered to slip below and ease it off, Hongjoong parted from him. He covered Seonghwa's lingering fingers with his cool skin, halting the insecure fiddling.

"Let's keep this on," Hongjoong muttered. "Regard it as my collar."

Meek, Seonghwa withdrew his fingers. He understood. Sometimes, they just needed to accommodate each other without demanding permission.

"Then what do you want to do? How does this work?"

Hongjoong's hand found his shoulder, pressing him down on the dusty bed. Seonghwa relaxed into its softness when Hongjoong knelt over him, covering them in his long robes. He was so light that Seonghwa was careful how he shifted so he wouldn't throw him off.