Episode One: Eye of the Storm

Manifest: A Shattered Future

Episode One: Eye of the Storm

"This city is an insult to the true brutality of our world. Aegea stands at the edge of the sea as if it has the strength to hold this position, but its people are fragile. They do not deserve the illusion of peace."

The cloaked man grimaced as he stood upon the quiet road which led to the city. Electrical lights scattered the buildings and pierced the night, illuminating banks of low clouds as they drifted overhead. The breeze carried in moisture from the nearby ocean, and the moonlight forced tiny droplets to shimmer. No walls or structures protected the city. Vulnerable people wandered through the quiet streets. Houses stood at the city's edge, practically taunting the darkness to rear its ugly head. 

"This fragile peace is no more stable than a house of cards. The balance only appears real, but the slightest push will return it to its natural state. They're clinging to memories of a world long lost to time," said the man as he reached into his bag.

After fumbling through a deck of scattered spells, he extracted a black monolith and a violet monolith from his bag. He tapped them together and then set the black stone onto the quiet road; a gentle hum sounded from the resonating structure. In just a matter of milliseconds, a black light emanated from the monolith, and its wielder stepped back as the glow expanded. Black energy spiraled together from the night as a powerful entity ascended from the monolith. Rumbles of thunder sounded from the transformation, and gale-force winds descended upon the dusty street. Sand and droplets of moisture lifted into the spiraling air. The sudden storm rapidly intensified, and in seconds, the man saw the silhouette of a sorcerer standing in the center of the storm.

"I knew I could count on you. Ride the wind and strike this city from the shore! I'll attack from the land; you attack from the sea. Break free from my hold! Rampage! Exert your rage upon this city!" shouted the man as he unleashed his monster.

 Break free from my hold! Rampage! Exert your rage upon this city!" shouted the man as he unleashed his monster

***

"Hey, Altair! What the hell is going on? We don't normally get storms this time of night! Are we being attacked?" asked Romulo as he rushed through the streets.

While frightened citizens ran desperately for shelter, Altair veered out of an alley and dashed over to his ally. As the two soldiers ran together through the pouring rain, Altair answered, "It's worse than you think! There's a Rampager on the shore; I took off to alert the monks. But I ran into Terrance on the way, and he said there's a conjurer attacking from the south! From Adriatica, of course. I'm headed that way now!"

"Two attacks at once? Holy hell, man! Who's gonna stop the Rampager on shore?" Romulo asked as thunder shook the storming sky.

"I don't know; I can't be in two places at once! Whoever fights the Rampager has their work cut out for them. It looked pretty monstrous to me," Altair answered.