Episode Four: The Princess of Swirling Cinders

"Good morning, Elena! What're ya working on? Another hydraulic manifold?" asked a friendly voice from the door to the lab.

Elena giggled and nodded as she said, "Yes of course, of course of course! I've got a pretty long connection here, but it's strong enough! I mean it's not perfect. One of the pistons doesn't fit, so we're losing lots of power there. But it's good other than that! One of the pneumatic shafts actually gets really close to being a vacuum, but it got stuck a little while ago. It keeps getting stuck! I just wanna finish this design. I'm tired of this design! How about you? How are you? Adder! You're supposed to be my partner! Why are you always gone?"

"Heh, you know I'd be right beside you if it were up to me! Problem is, the astrophysics team keeps needing my calculations. They're really working on some pretty cool stuff! That is, at least, when they're not ogling each other. I swear they're obsessed. Ockham and Annabel... absolutely love 'em, absolutely sick of 'em," Adder explained.

"No fair, no fair! I'm working on cool stuff too! Maybe not like dark energy waves or whatever they're doing... but they get all the press. It's not fair! Mechanical engineering's just not as flashy! I should've picked a different major."

Elena sighed and lowered her hands from the hydraulic seals. She took a backward step and nearly tripped when her prosthetic leg slid along the ground, but she caught herself before she could collapse. When she turned her head to peer past her curly hair, she saw that Adder stood half a step behind her with his hands extended; he had lunged to catch her just in case she fell. Elena smiled at his generosity as she stabilized her stance.

"Thank you, Adder. Sorry. I don't mean to complain; I don't like to complain. I think... maybe I'm a little jealous of Annabel. It's stupid. But she's so pretty and calm and smart and happy. The people from the press are basically stalking her, just so they can get a little detail of her project. Everyone wants to know. Everyone cares! Not like for us. Besides, you've seen the way Ockham looks at her! He looks like he could fly when he looks at her! She won't ever be alone," Elena explained with a self-deprecating laugh.

"Hell, I get it! I thought working at a small lab meant our work would matter more, but it's just like ya said! Everyone cares about their work, never us! But if it's all the same, I wouldn't get too jealous. Ockham's a little overwhelming. Intense as all hell! I think you could probably do better anyway. Ya know, if that's something you're interested in," Adder laughed.

"I don't know what I want! You know that; you know that! It's weird. Sometimes I feel like I want someone to love, and... other times I feel like I'm not really ready. Probably won't ever be ready! Like don't get me wrong. I had guys I liked in high school. Guys who liked me. Same way in college. But everyone else was always hooking up, so it made me feel weird like I'm expected to do the same, when... it's complicated. Sorry. This is a little overly personal, isn't it?" Elena asked.

"No worries! Hell, it's just us; you can talk about anything you'd like. I guess I just don't get it. You don't ever clear your browser history, so, like, it really seems like you're straight. Just based off that. But then, you make it sound like-"

"I don't know how to say it! I don't know if there is a way to say it. Um. I am straight, and I like... you know, guys and all that. But I can't imagine sharing myself with someone else. If you know what I mean. I don't think I ever will. It's like... is autosexual a word? I think I'm that. As in, like, only by myself. Or maybe I'm just shy. Adder! Why are we talking about this?!" Elena interrupted.