Chapter 4

Emily's POV

We get the key to our room and start heading towards it. I can tell that she is dreading this as much as I am but for a different reason. I just want to talk to her and clear things up but she doesn't want to hear any of it. We get into our room and I give her a bit of space to get settled before I try to talk to her again. She was about to hop in the shower when I stopped her.

"We should really talk. This is obviously not ideal for the both of us but we can try to make it work." I said, trying to see if she would talk to me now.

"I don't know about you but the last time we talked you definitely made it seem like you didn't want to ever see or talk to me ever again." She said, frustrated like I expected.

"That was years ago and I'm not the same person I was back then!" I shouted, trying to defend myself because I just wanted to explain my perspective and tell her my side of the story.

"What does that matter?! How am I supposed to believe that when all you've been to me so far is rude?! Listen, I'm not in the mood to talk about this right now. I'm going to take a shower and go to sleep, ok." She screamed back at me, obviously not wanting to talk further.

I sat down on the bed defeated with my head in my hands waiting for her to come out of the bathroom so that I could take a shower next. I don't know what I am going to do. This is all so difficult to figure out because I can't figure out my feelings about her. She confuses me and I don't like not having control of my life. I don't want to deal with any of this. Why did Hotch have to choose her? She walks out of the bathroom and heads toward the couch when I stop her.

"Don't. We are grown ups, we can share a bed. It's not like we have to talk or anything."

She doesn't say anything to me as she puts her stuff on the nightstand next to the bed and crawls in. I head to the bathroom to take a shower and clear my head. I tried to take a quick shower because it was already late when we got back to the hotel and I was dead tired so I finished up quickly and left the bathroom. I walked out into the room and saw Y/n fast asleep on the bed. I don't know why I hated her back then and I don't know why I dislike her now. All I know is that these next few days are going to be rough.

                                                                   – – –

The next morning I am awoken by my alarm and realize the other side of the bed is empty. I was starting to try and wake up when Y/n walked out of the bathroom in a black tank top and cargo pants showing off her toned arms and incredible figure. She didn't even look at me as she started gathering her badge, gun, and phone before throwing on a blazer and heading out the door. I got up and got dressed then headed downstairs where everyone was waiting for Hotch. Y/n was talking and laughing with Reid and Morgan and the site made me instantly upset. I went and made myself a cup of coffee and went to sit next to Rossi. He gave me a look of curiosity and then spoke up.

"Something bothering you kid?"

"No. Why would you ask that?" I said somewhat defensively.

"Because it looks like you want to murder those three. What's going on between you and Y/l/n now? Has anything gotten better?" He said with his signature smirk.

"Wait, how do you know there was something going on with us?" I asked, surprised because I hadn't mentioned that we knew each other or that we hated each other. Well hate was a strong word, disliked each other.

"You don't need to explicitly tell me you guys have a problem for me to figure it out. I'm a profiler, it's what we do for a living." He said with a smug smile on his face.

"So seriously, what's going on between you two?"

"We knew each other when we were in university and let's just say that things ended on bad terms. I was a complete jackass to her for what seemed like no reason. I mean sometimes I can't even explain it."

"Sometimes? Sometimes you can't explain it? What does that mean?" He asked me, his eyes peering into my soul when he asked that question. I froze. I couldn't come up with an answer, but he knew what was going on.

"Ah, I see. I'll keep your little secret. Word of advice, don't go your whole life hiding and listen to your heart." He said as he got up to leave.

"Wha- What do you mean? Rossi!" I couldn't continue this conversation because Hotch had come down and was giving us our assignments for the day. It was the same as yesterday, Y/n and I would be gathering more evidence for an official profile and consulting with Penelope. It was going to be a long day.