Chapter 3: The Abduction

Old King Shantan lay in his bed heavily propped up with pillow. There was a decided chill in the air that even a hearty roaring fire in the large fireplace right beside his bed could not quite warm him up. Or was it just old age? This year the winters were extraordinary cold.

'Bravin, does it never bother you that you gave up everything for me? For someone who won't even live for many years?

' No father. Never.' Bravin smiled gently.

'Why?. Just why?' He coughed profusely that nearly tired him out. Bravin handed him a glass of water. 

'Bravin, I am unable to understand you. I have been king of Atlantis eversince I was a a young man not twenty years old. Everyone who I have ever met has envied me my crown, my kingdom, my family name, my riches, power, my might, my luck. All the neighbouring kingdoms pay homage to me like I am some god. We are the mightiest in the world. How could you not want it? How could you denounce all this like... like... it is nothing?"

'You think too much. I am fine with what I have. I look after the kingdom anyway in every way as if I am still the prince.'

'Except that you aren't.' 

'What does it matter? I am responsible for all office matters in your stead. For the realm. For the people. For the Queen. And Chera and Chirega are shaping up so well! Chera is really good at war craft although he is only 17 years old. Chirega is a bit comfort-loving but,'

'Ah! My Chera and Chirega! You are more like a father to them than I have been.' 

Another coughing fit seized him that seemed to drain him of his last bit of strength. Sauvari ran too. So did Chera and Chirega. The royal physicians were at hand and immediately gave him medicinal herbs with honey to chew which eased his dry cough. 

Bravin and Sauvari made him lie down in his bed tenderly. His old wrinkled face with all silvery hair looking even older with his eyes closed. There with not an ounce of energy, strength or colour in his wrinkled cheeks.  

'Bravin, promise me something.' He clutched his hands and wouldn't let him go.

'Father?'

'Promise me you will look after my Atlantis.'

'Father!'

'Your Atlantis. Sauvari. Chera. Chirega. They are all yours. Promise me.'

'I promise. I promise.'

'Every night...' He heaved painfully catching his breath after each word. 'every night... as I lie here resting and sleeping, I .... sometimes.... dream that bad days are coming ...Bad days that would swallow up... Atlantis. Bravin.... don't let that happen... if you can.... Promise me.'

'I promise, father. I promise.'

He breathed his last..!

!