Chapter 5: The Curse

No one ever saw Ambi after that. People said she lived all alone in a deep dark forest like an abandoned spirit. Furious with the world, furious with people in it and furious with the Gods that allowed it, she had just one mission in life: to kill Bravin. But no one knew if she was even alive or dead. 

Eventually, everyone forgot her and thought no more about her. That's the way with this world, people say, don't they? When we are happy the world laughs with us. When we're sad we must cry alone. So while Ambi, lived her life like a curse if alive she was, the world that had so cruelly wronged her was having a wonderfully blissful time. In particular, her two young newly wedded sister brides of Atlantis, and the mighty, handsome, powerful, upright Prince Bravin!

No one knows if it was Ambi's curse or fate's cruel hand but, their happiness turned out to be dreadfully short lived. Within a year of their marriage, King Chirega developed a strange wasting disease and before he could be cured, like his elder brother, he died too without an heir. 

With him ended the Atlantean blood line!

The mighty kingdom of Atlantis that had enjoyed a long spell of peace and happiness suddenly lost two young promising kings so soon one after the other with no heir to sit on the throne.

People whispered in corridors. The land became tense and uncomfortable. Something was wrong. Ambi's curse had fallen upon Atlantis. Some began talking about the prophecy of coming bad times. What could be worse than losing kings one after the other and still not having any to rule?  

Bravin sat at one end of the great meeting table, the dazed stone-like Queen Sauvri, dressed in sombre black at the other

Bravin sat at one end of the great meeting table, the dazed stone-like Queen Sauvri, dressed in sombre black at the other. Every other seat was occupied by the many Lords and advisers of the crown. So many people yet what deathly silence reigned the atmosphere. The doom of death that had descended on the entire kingdom appeared to be the heaviest and the blackest in this huge arched stone hall. The light through the glass windows or from the hundreds of candle lit crystal chandeliers hanging from the ceiling did nothing to dispel the gloomy shadows. It was as if the world had suddenly come to a stand still and was nonplussed which way to turn.

'What course of action do we have now, my Lords?' 

'There... is one, Your Grace, but ... you won't hear of it.' remarked Lord Levin hesitantly.

'Lord Levin, if you mean getting me married then it is definitely out of question. I won't hear of it.'

'It will be for the realm.'

'My vow is for realm.'

'But the same realm demands you that you break it, Your Grace. What good is your vow doing now?'

'My Lord!' Bravin thundered stomping his fists heavily on the gold gilded table. His voice reverberated through out the large hall. Everyone cowered. But Lord Levin refused to give in.