Chapter 7: The Training

Doris and Druvid were engaged in a practice sword fight. But do what Druvid would, there was no way he could win him. Even after a long tussle neither Doris was allowing him to win, nor allowing him to disengage. Druvid wasn't a man of patience.

'Stop. Stop. Stop.' Druvid threw up his sword and jumped aside talking off his helmet. Druvid was a fine young man with dark hair, his features demeanour and gait every bit was like that of a royal prince.

'Now you're showing off!'

'No, I am not.' Doris picked up the sword and handed it back to him, helping him rise from the sandy floor of the practice arena. 'I was actually trying to show you how to throw off your enemy if you cannot win him.'

'You mean, now you are teaching me?' Druvid scowled. 'Aren't our teachers enough for that?'

'Not teaching . Just showing you some secret tricks that I have discovered on my own. Look.'

Doris swung his sword over all where Druvid was looking at him puzzled.

'When the enemy is all over you, giving you no space, no moment and no chance to attack him, the easiest trick to over power him is this: You pretend you are losing and getting tired and you stagger like a step like this. The enemy thinks you're about to give up and chances are he will become careless. That's when you attack him and bring him down. 

Confusing your enemy and allowing you to guess what you plan to do is ancient old trick.'

'Yeah, but I don't need this trick, if I have you. Have you forgotten what I said to you the other day? When I am king, you and I are going to be together. Like friends. Then you can use all your skills on training my military.'

'Excellent, Doris! Excellent!' The masters clapped from behind. They had come in when both of them were engaged in their fight and had overheard every word that Doris said.

'Masters!' They bowed to them respectfully, their eyes cast down at their feet.

'Doris, in my opinion it would be hard for us to say if you are a better warrior or a better teacher or a better student. You seem to be brilliant all three!'

'Thank you Masters. It is my greatest fortune that my attempts at learning are appreciated.'

Druvid scowled. It was clear the master wanted to talk to Doris only. So he excused himself and discreetly disappeared while the master held Doris affectionately by his shoulders and lead him to the inner hall and into his own chamber at the side of the large building.