Wattpad Original
There are 15 more free parts

Ch 12: Run

I'm not sure when exactly I drifted away, but my last memories were of Cephias withdrawing his fingers and licking them clean.

So much for no tasting.

I lay in bed, halfway between sleep and consciousness. Questions bounce around, denying me any hope of returning to my slumber.

Did our entanglement last night seal the deal? Did I prove to Cephias that our marriage can be both beneficial and enjoyable? Will he take me with him when the caravan leaves today?

I stretch my arms over my head as a yawn pulls my jaw wide. My lips smack and my eyes blink. I'm not sure how I look after all that happened, but I don't have time to freshen up. I need to convince Cephias to take me before the caravan leaves. They're leaving today, but I'm not sure when. Surely I still—

I turn to his side of the bed and find a mound of blankets. For a moment, I smile to myself, wondering what his sleeping face looks like.

With his eyes closed and their fiery glow hidden, will he look like any human man? Will the serious leader and deviously handsome dragon have drool collecting at the corner of his mouth? How wild is his hair in the morning after an evening of pleasure?

Eager to get my answers, I lift myself up so I can see his pillow.

But there is no head resting there. The lump I thought was his body was actually the covers bunched up from when he left the bed.

My breath catches and I swing around to face his windows. Heavy curtains cover most of them, but the morning light streaks in through the gaps.

I spring to my feet and hustle over to the nearest one. I rip the curtains open, only to turn away. The sun approaches midday, its light blinding against the freshly fallen snow.

With eyes adjusted, I look back out.

As lord of the castle, Cephias's bedroom sits high inside a tower, giving him a sweeping view of the mountainside. A forest of coniferous trees blanket the slope, their needles glittering with ice and sunlight. Delicate flakes still float through the air, casting a soft haze over what should be a beautiful, serene morning.

However, I can't drink in the vast splendor of this chilly world. I need to focus instead on the expansive patio outside the castle's main entrance. It's where they've been building the carts, and hopefully it's where they are currently filling them.

I spot a group of dragons stirring with activity. I draw closer to the frosted window and use my hand to clear away some of the fog obscuring my view.

The group below aren't bustling around with furs loaded in their arms. No, instead they wave goodbye to the departing group, already headed into the woods and down the mountainside.

"Shit!"

I race for the door, unconcerned with how my stockings bunch at my ankles or how my drawers appear to be missing completely. At least I still have my shift to guard my dignity.

Curses fly through my head, berating myself for sleeping in. I knew convincing Cephias was a long shot, but I thought I'd have some time in the morning to really sell my point. Now, I'm not even sure I'll have enough time to fall back on my original plan.

If they get too far ahead, I'll get lost in those woods—trapped with whatever terror Cephias warned me about.

I dash down the stairs toward my room. With everyone outside to say their goodbyes, the halls are vacant, and I don't meet a soul along the way.

Once in my room, I shove my mattress aside and withdraw the clothes and satchel I'd been hiding there. I put on layer after layer of clothes, which impedes my mobility. However, it won't matter how fast I can run if I end up freezing to death.