Wattpad Original
Há mais 12 capítulos gratuitos

Ch 15: Princess

I spend the remaining hours of the day beside Cephias.

Every so often, I hold a one-sided conversation with him, but I spend most of the time trying to figure a way out of this mess.

Unfortunately, I keep coming back to the same conclusion. No matter how strong and able-bodied the Firehearts may or may not be, there are just too few of them. If these Waterhearts have an army at their disposal, then Cephias doesn't stand a chance.

At least, not by himself.

He needs to grow his army, and the only way to do that is by enlisting humans to fight the Waterhearts. Which means I need to convince him he is the biggest fool in all the realm if he doesn't just marry me already.

Now, it crosses my mind that I could smack him across the head and have Andre puppet him around as my husband. But that plan—though thoroughly amusing—is obviously not an option.

I need him to commit. That's where I'm stuck, because gods know I've tried all I can think of at this point.

Around dinner time, Bellina stops by with a tray of food and the threat of dragging me back to my room if I don't go willingly within the next hour. I have enough sprains and bruises for the time being, so I promise she won't see me when she comes back to take watch over the dragon lord.

After my meal, I trudge back to my room. On the way, I spot Jennit and Andre smiling together beside my door. Jennit blushes and immediately shoos Andre away before offering to help me settle in for the night. However, I'm numb to it all because seeing them together finally provides me an answer—the Fireheart gem forging tradition.

As far as I can tell, when it comes to Fireheart commitment, making a jewel for your beloved is a sure sign of your intentions. I certainly can't forge a gem on my own, but perhaps if I craft something else, that will be enough.

***

The following morning, I join the dragoniths around the table for breakfast.

Killian took watch from Bellina in the early morning hours. The dragonith has nothing to report other than Cephias's color is improving, and that he's now making slight movements instead of being stone still. My heart lightens at this news, but Cephias's aunt looks drawn and small as she shares it. In fact, no one takes the sign of improvement well.

Is this too slow for a dragonith? For a human, such movement after a major injury is worth celebrating. But for them, every second he stays asleep, the darker his outlook is.

I can't allow myself to overanalyze her reaction. She's been up all night and is just exhausted. Cephias is going to be okay. He has to be.

Instead, I turn my attention elsewhere. Busy hands quiet the mind and I know just what to do to keep me distracted.

"Mira, Gatteo, Numen, is there a chance I could ask a favor?"

The three hunters look up from their plates of roasted colliroot and smoked hog, all of which they've drowned in a sweet syrup tapped from the local trees. Their faces are impassive.

It's no secret I am not the hunters' favorite person. They only see me at meals and, in their world, I'm an extra mouth to feed, which means more work for them.

When an uncomfortable amount of time passes, I clear my throat and continue.

"I was hoping you might know of some clay in the area."

"Planning to go on another excursion?" asks the burly Gatteo with a patronizing drawl to his words.

"Uh, no, learned my lesson the last time."