Wattpad Original
There are 9 more free parts

Ch 19: Closer

"Should she sleep on the floor?"

A dungeon cell with a small window high upon the wall is selected for my new bedroom. It will offer me some light and a speck of sky to bring me peace in the deep dark of the castle's bowels. Across from the barred door is a large brazier which will be lit and maintained by Andre. Seems he still hasn't shaken his role as my guard.

"No, she's money now and her value is in her body."

Cephias's voice is full of anger, fire, and greed—just like it was on our first day together. However, this time, the assertion about my worth gives me a shiver of pleasure instead of fear.

"Perhaps Andre can gather up all the brush we have for the smoker." Bellina looks at the young man, who nods his head with understanding. She then turns to her daughter. "It's not much, but it will give some cushion. Jennit and I can retrieve blankets."

"Only use our most tattered blankets. Make sure they are as clean as possible, but they need to appear ragged."

"Of course, my lord."

Bellina gives a slight bow, which Andre and Jennit mimic, before heading up the dark stairwell to retrieve the pitiful furnishings for my new bed.

"If you want to take a couple days—"

"No."

My response to his concern is firm and immediate, though my muscles tense to keep my body from tattling my discomfort.

How long will I be in here? What if something happens to them and I don't know because I'm trapped down here? Will I die from starvation if they're killed? Would that be preferable to the Waterhearts finding me?

The thoughts circle and churn until my mind feels as thick as butter. I'm not sure how long Cephias and I stand there looking at my cell. It isn't until the three other dragoniths return that I find the mask I've crafted as a princess and place it back upon my face.

I then help to make my bed of hay and blankets. It reeks of ash and mildew. The few floral notes within the brush that might have added some pleasantness to the pallet, ends up mixing with the offensive odors so that the sweet aroma is sickly and putrid.

"You'll have a pitcher and bowl for water, as well as a chamber pot, but I'm not sure we can get away with much else." Bellina glances at her thin-lipped lord from the corner of her eye, but he doesn't counter her statement.

She then looks back at me. "We'll also need to change you into clothes not so befitting of your status. They will be thick wool, which should help you stay warm, but the quality..."

"It's all right, Bellina. I appreciate all you've done for me. It's time I return the favor and do some sacrifice of my own. I'll survive in a rough bed and uncomfortable clothes. I just need food, heat, and water."

"And that you'll have, miss." The matronly woman sighs and then continues. "Why don't you come up with me? We'll get you changed and fill your stomach before you move in."

She reaches a reassuring hand out to guide me forward, but Cephias is quick to cut her off with his words.

"No. That won't be necessary."

We all look to the dragon lord with a range of emotions. Andre is as impassive as always, Jennit is frowning, Bellina looks furious, and I've reached begrudging acceptance.

Then he continues.

"I'll take her up. She will spend one more night in a proper bed. She'll come down here first thing in the morning."