Chapter 6: Rough start

---

Y/n just ran in some random direction without necessarily thinking it through. As of late, he was in the middle of nowhere, particularly surrounded by trees and bushes, continuing the useless sprint. Looking around, there was nothing worth noting.  Eventually, he came to a halt, standing quite literally in the middle of the entire area where the event would take place.

The smell of the earthly soil and birds chirping fulfilled his senses.

He placed a finger on his chin.

Where'd he go now? What's his goal? Is he really just some goofy decoy?

He thought long and hard about it. "Maybe I should keep runnin'."

And run he did.

As he would, he ran without a particular intent. A direction. He'd go with the flow entirely. Rarely, this kind of reckless sprint would do him good, giving him an easy victory. Most of the time though, he crashes somewhere else entirely. 

For several minutes he continued his jog. Then he saw her.

Eyes wide, skidding to a halt once more, he admired the sight before him. It was Mai. Maki's twin, as he recalled from asking the greenhead a while ago.

Right now, they were only three meters apart. The tree's shade hovered over her as rays of sunshine riddled her exposed and clothed skin.

She only frowned at his presence, studying him from head to toe.

She sneered. "You're from Tokyo, right? The hell did you pop up from?"

Y/n pursued his lips. "From heaven."

Her frown hardened. "Oh my God you're that kind of guy, huh?" She shook her head either out of genuine disappointment or out of mild amusement. Either way, the previous one seemed like it. She giggled lightly and started her trek in the opposite direction from Y/n. "Piss off. You're going to be annoying. A nuisance. I'm too beautiful for measly foreigners like you."

A grin brewed on Y/n's lips as he slipped onto her left. "Yeah? Is that right?" He landed his feet beside the woman.

"Uh-huh."

"I do think you're pretty hot." Y/n eyed certain aspects of her figure. "And cute."

She rolled her eyes. "Thank you for pointing out the obvious."

"OoOOoh, I do like 'em feisty."

Snickering, she increased her pace. "So you do?" Currently, her entire figure was facing forward, and so was her face.

"Well, I kinda did just say that," Y/n said, following her pace.

"You're persistent," her tone at the end was low. Could be a sign of distasteful annoyance, or an increase in interest. However one can see it, her tone remained confusing.

Y/n placed a hand on his chest, puffing it out. "I do believe I am," There was a short pause. A poor attempt to add to the suspense. "When I chase my goals~"

Mai stopped walking. She turned to Y/n. Her lips were in a neutral line. Her short black hair flowed with the wind. She spoke. "You're horrible at this."

His shoulder slumped forward as his gaze fell to the soil beneath his feet. "I know..."

Scoffing, she continued her stride. "At least you know you're an idiot, idiot."

Straightening his back, he jogged forward, keeping up with her instantly. "Aww, thank you, you're so kind~"