Apologies

After some time, Y/n was at the cafe taking orders. She was so engrossed in her work that she didn't notice the ordering person. Jungkook stood facing Y/n, but she was absorbed in making the bill for his order. Upon hearing the familiar voice, she looked up and saw him. Her face was expressionless, betraying none of the emotions she harbored for this guy, this jerk, over the years.

"Um, I'll have a black coffee, please," Jungkook finally said, his voice slightly hesitant.

Y/n nodded silently, her heart pounding in her chest as she turned to prepare his order. She tried to focus on the task at hand, but the presence of Jungkook was overwhelming. Memories flooded her mind—moments shared, words exchanged, and feelings kept hidden.

As she handed him the coffee, their fingers brushed briefly, sending a jolt of electricity through her. Jungkook's eyes briefly met hers, and in that moment, Y/n felt a surge of emotions—longing, regret, and unresolved tension.

"Thanks," Jungkook murmured, breaking the silence. He took the coffee and turned to leave, but before he could walk away, he turned back towards her. There were no other workers around, and very few customers as it was past lunchtime. 

He cleared his throat and began, "Ella told me... you were not getting a job," he said in a low voice. Y/n looked at him and nodded. "Why don't you apply for"

"I have applied... my interview is tomorrow," she said, cutting him off.

Jungkook nodded, his expression thoughtful. "That's good to hear. I hope it goes well for you," he said, his tone sincere. There was a brief pause as they both seemed lost in their thoughts, the weight of unspoken words hanging heavily between them.

Y/n shifted uncomfortably, feeling the need to break the tension. "Thank you," she replied softly, offering a small smile.

Jungkook hesitated for a moment as if grappling with his next words. "Y/n, I know things have been... strained between us lately," he began, his voice hesitant. "And I want to apologize for my behavior. I've been... insensitive, and I realize that."

Y/n blinked in surprise, not expecting such an admission from him. She remained silent, waiting for him to continue.

"I've been... frustrated with myself, with everything," Jungkook admitted, his gaze fixed on the floor. "But that's no excuse for how I've treated you. You've been nothing but kind and supportive, and I've... I've taken that for granted."

Y/n felt a mix of emotions swirling inside her – surprise, disbelief, and perhaps a glimmer of hope. She had never imagined Jungkook would acknowledge his faults, let alone apologize for them.

"I'm sorry, Y/n," Jungkook said, looking up to meet her gaze. "I hope you can forgive me."

Y/n was taken aback by his sincerity. It was a side of Jungkook she had rarely seen – vulnerable and remorseful. Despite her lingering hurt, she found it in herself to nod slowly.

"Thank you, Jungkook," she replied, her voice barely above a whisper.

After Jungkook left, Y/n found herself lost in a whirlwind of thoughts. Ella, with her persuasive charm and irresistible puppy eyes, had managed to apply to Jeon Corporation on Y/n's behalf, all without her knowledge. It was a typical Ella move, always eager to help, even if it meant overstepping boundaries.

Y/n sighed, feeling conflicted about Ella's well-intentioned but intrusive actions. She appreciated her friend's support, but she also valued her independence and the importance of forging her path. Y/n felt like her pride had been trampled upon in front of Jungkook.

Deep down, Y/n couldn't deny the impact Jungkook's presence had on her. Despite their differences and the tensions that often arose between them, she couldn't shake off the lingering feelings she harbored for him. 

Since the beginning, Y/n knew that Jungkook could never be hers. Yet, loving him from afar wasn't easy either. Despite the ache in her heart, she found solace in the idea that if loving him from a distance brought him happiness, then she was willing to endure the pain. Loving somebody with all your heart, only to be hurt by them intentionally, cuts deep like nothing else.

It's like watching your love being somebody else's.

The next day arrived in a blink, and with sweaty palms, Y/n stood in front of the interview room. Her name was called, and she opened the door to find three people seated at the table. In the middle seat was Jeon Jungkook, grinning, with two other men by his side. One was a man around Jungkook's age, while the other was older. Jungkook eyed her from top to bottom as she entered, dressed in a charcoal black pencil skirt, a white shirt, and a matching coat, her hair in a neat bun.

Y/n took a deep breath, trying to maintain her composure despite the sudden surge of nerves. She walked in with measured steps, her eyes meeting Jungkook's intense gaze for a fleeting moment before she diverted her attention to the other men in the room.

The interview proceeded with the typical questions about her qualifications, experience, and aspirations. Y/n responded with confidence, her voice steady despite the butterflies fluttering in her stomach. She was determined to make a good impression, even though Jungkook's presence added an unexpected layer of tension.

As the interview drew to a close, the older man spoke up. "Thank you for your time, Miss Y/n. We'll let you know our decision shortly."

She couldn't shake off the tension that lingered in the air. Jungkook's silence throughout the interview only added to her unease. It felt like an invisible barrier had been erected between them, leaving her wondering about his intentions and thoughts. As she walked away from the interview room, her mind buzzed with questions. Even if Jungkook asked for forgiveness, he might perceive her as desperate. This thought lingered in her mind, adding to the whirlwind of emotions already swirling within her.