Part5: A Good Nights Rest

"It's getting pretty dark outside, so why don't you go get some rest. You must be very tired," Yoshimura said. "Are you kidding me! I just now am becoming alive!" I said but when I went to get up my body trembled and I was forced to sit back down abruptly. "Hm" he commented and I glared on his direction. "Fine. I guess I'll take a quick nap or something..." I mumbled and crossed my arms. I heard a chuckle and glared at Yoshimura but saw that he wasn't the one who laughed. "K-kaneki?! What's so damn funny!" He looked mature when he was amused. "Ah, nothing it's just you're,"
"I'm what?!" I got up again, not needing to sit down this time. "You're so short," everyone kind of deadpanned, even Touka gave a "wtf" look. That was out of the blue. "W-what do you mean! I'm just a little shorter than you!" He walked closer and I saw him up close. "Okay. Fine. So you hit a growth spurt or something, just because you are tall, doesn't mean I'm short!" I glared up at him. "Okay, okay. But you're only five foot..." He tilted his head and Yoshimura chuckled this time. "Hey you stay out of this!" I growled at him. "Whatever, I bet I could still kick your ass in hand to hand!" My ego flared as he just laughed some more. "Ah, probably. I'm not much of a fighter remember," he scratched his head lightly. "Okay, I'll admit I'm pretty tired so I'm going to go to bed," I still wasn't comfortable with everyone too well so I didn't say goodnight. "I think I will too," kaneki went to follow me. I stiffened remembering I had to share a room with him. Great. I have no alone time... That gave me a less chance to escape. Yes, they might be good people, but this is something I need to work out on my own. I need to get back and get answers for why they did this to us! I'm not just going to be dumped somewhere like a piece of trash. Plus they took him away and that's unforgivable. "This way," kaneki gestured once we got up the stairs. I followed. "Kaneki?" I asked as we walked. He turned and waited for me to continue. "What happened to your eye?" I tilted my head to et a better look. "Oh, my eye. Well I'm half ghoul so I like to keep it hidden," he answered simply. "Oh...Can I see?" I was curious. "U-uh, Lynn. I-I," he seemed to get uncomfortable. "It's alright," I said. "I'm guessing you rather be human?" I asked. "Of course. I-I never wanted any of it, the ghoul I mean," I nodded. "But why not?" He looked at me. The moonlight reflecting off of his one good eye. "Why not be with the ghouls? They have the advantage. Don't you want to be with the winners?" I asked. He looked at me for a while, knowing that where I came from things were totally different. "No. I rather not be with the winners. The winners are monsters," he looked away. I didn't know how to feel. How I was raised, if the odds were turning, you got on the winning side. You always save yourself..."B-but what about you?" I asked hesitantly. "What do you mean?" His eyes were gently on me again. "Don't you want to save yourself? Why risk being human?" I was really confused. "Lynn. When you care about people, you never put yourself first," he said and it got me. Cared about someone. Do I? I cared about him...About my partner.."I see now," I said strictly. "Really?" Kaneki smiled gently. "Like how I cared for my partner. If he were human and I had the chance to stay by his side I would," I nodded to myself. Yes that sounds right. "See? You're not so rough," kaneki chuckled. "GAH! I-It's not like I care about anyone right now! Because I don't! I have better things to worry about!" I blurted and he laughed again. "Here we are," he opened the door for me shakily. He was nervous? Wuss. "Hm, it's clean at least," I nodded and plopped down on the big bed. "U-uh.." I looked over and kaneki sweat dropped. "What?" I shrugged. He sighed. "I'll take the futon," he was kind of funny when he did that. I stretched as he set up his futon. I looked around the room a little. It was already dark in the room and kaneki began to get settled. "K-kaneki?" I asked and he popped his head up. "Um, not that this matters, because it doesn't! But could you close the closet door?" I averted my eyes. I was kind of ashamed that I was still uneasy when the closet door was open. I could already see the smile, blah. "Of course," he got up and closed the door shut and I snuggled back into my position to sleep.
I waited for a while, putting on the act that I was sleeping. Okay! Now time to escape! I gently got up and creeped towards the door. Yes! Yes! This was perfect! I looked back but kaneki wasn't in the futon. I blinked a few times. E-eh I didn't hear him get up at all durning the one I was faking. Oh well. I shrugged and turned to leave the room. "GA-" I covered my mouth quickly meeting with kaneki. Wait...He was sleep? Oh my god phew! That was too close. "M..Mom," he seemed sad. I tried creeping around him and almost made it out of the door when I felt his arms wrap around me. "W-WHAT?" What the hell!? He fell on the futon bringing me with him. Damn this sleepwalking bastard!! I struggled against his grip. "N-no..Mom, don't leave. Please don't leave mom," I stopped and turned towards him. So what he expects me to play mommy all night?! I have to escape! I struggled more. Where did that wuss go?! Isn't this supposed to be easy! "He misses her," I looked over to a form walking into the room. "T-Touka?" I said surprisingly. "His mom I mean," she actually looked gentle. She walked over and soothingly stroked his head and his arms fell limp. I got up immediately. "You...you and him must be really close.." It reminded me too much of me and Jonathan. "I guess. I just understand. I try not to be selfish when it comes to him unlike some people," I was a little offended. I'm not selfish! But I ignored it. "But it's a good thing he caught you before I had too. Don't think you're clever enough to get away so easily," she got up and walked out of the room. I trembled with defeat and anger. GREAAAAT! I stomped over to the bed again and snuggled down. I'll get out of here I will! That'll show that hardass Touka! I wonder what happened to his mother though...Did he eat her or something? Now that would be fucked up. I looked over at Kaneki's sleeping form...Nah..Kaneki didn't eat her.. Is it bad that I kind of missed the warmth. Only because I'm cold though! I would have been that way with anyone!! Just because it was kaneki doesn't matter! I closed my eyes and surprisingly, it was easy to get a good nights rest.