you're not defective

Tags:
Zadr, fluff, mild angst idk, aged up(obviously) um...gay..yeah.

3rd person pov

It was a typical night in zims, now shared base. Gir was being...well, gir, zim was down in his lab, and Dib was at work. Despite finding out his mission was a lie, and that his 'all mighty tallest' send him out hoping he would Parrish, zim was just so used spending his days down in the lab, even if now he's only playing games on Dibs 'X-station'.

After dying about 7 times in 'blockcraft,' zim decided he had enough, all but slamming the controller down. "zim is too good for this stupid game anyway!" He huffs as he hops up from his chair. The irken pauses momentarily as the irken Armada symbol suddenly flashes on his screen. It's been years since he's heard from the tallest. He still remembers what they told him, their cruel words suddenly ringing throughout his words. ' You're Defective '.

The screen flashes, a message reading aloud through the room, but zim couldn't hear it. His thoughts consumed him as he's basically transported back to that day.
The day zim realized his tallest..his plannet ....they all wanted him dead.

It was 10 years ago in earth time. Back when zim and Dib were still in what was called 'hi skool', zim had captured Dib and called the tallest to report about the information he stole from the earth boy. The irken child stood proud as he waited for the all mighty ones to pick up, a proud smile on his face. This was the first report he did in years, and he was positive his tallest would be thrilled to find that ZIM! Their most capable soldier, is infact alive and well!, but when the line was answered, he was faced with the undeniable look of annoyance from both of his tallest. Zim couldn't even get a word out before they began to dig into him.

Even to this day, zim can still feel the stab of their words....

"When will you get the hint zim!" Tallest red said, venom in his words as his image glared at zim. "My tallest! I-" zims excitement would fade to confusion "what hint my tallest?" Purple would then cut in as red just groaned."There is no mission! We don't care about earth! We don't care about you! You're defective zim. Just like that stupid robot we gave you! Stop calling us. You were supposed to die! How you manage to survive is beyond me! The fact that you consider yourself an irken is pathetic. Leave us alone." And with that, the line was cut, and zim was left with the harsh reality. After that day, he didn't leave his base for months, only found by Dib when the teen broke into his base, assuming zim was planning something. Instead, what he found was an utterly defeated zim, in a horrible horriblely messy base. That day began the twos friendship, one that would develop into much more. But in this very moment, zim felt like he had all those years ago. Alone, useless, and Defective.

Irkens are raised from the time they're smeets till they reach the age of 'usefulness', which in earthling years is only about 10 or so, to be the perfect irken soldier. They are trained to blindly follow their tallest, to invade, and to only exist to aid the tallest. Zim was 'Defective'. He tried to be the perfect soldier, but no matter what he did he wasn't enough. He still remembers his first mission 'impending doom 1'. The screams still keep him up some nights. He tired to be a good invader, but it wasn't enough.

Zims thoughts swirl through his mind as his legs give out on him, causing him to fall onto the hard lab floor, tears now welling up in his magenta eyes and rolling down his face "i- I'm not Defective- zim can't be! Zim- zim is trying his best!" His words echo off the walls, making him feel even more alone.

Zim is left there for a good 30 minutes before Dib comes home, gir greeting him at the door "HAIII DIBTHING!!!" The faulty sir unit calls out cheerful "inside voice gir, where's zim?" Dib questions as he shuts the door behind him. Typically his alien boyfriend would be on the couch waiting for him, so only being greeted by gir raised some questions "he hasn't left the lab! And I made waffles" gir points over to the mess in the kitchen, making Dib grimace a bit "I see..." Dib hangs up his long white coat and slips off his boots before walking twords the elevator, which is luckily no longer a toilet "computer, take me to zim please" he calls outz the elevator door opening immediately, followed by a robotic voice as Dib steps inside and the doors close "zim does not seem to be in the best of states.."

Dibs face twists at the computers words "what do you mean by that?" The elevator doors suddenly open "see for yourself " the computer says. The signs infront of him makes his heart ache. Zim was curled up on the floor, his small body shaking from how hard he was crying. His pac legs were practically caged around him in an attempt to hide his 'shame'. Dib slowly stepped closer, not wanting to accidentally scare his irken partner. As he approached, he could hear zims shakey voice repeating the same phrase over and over again. "I'm Defective"

Dib slowly crouches down beside zim "zim...zim what happened?" He askes softly, his voice laced with concern. Zim looks up at his boyfriend, his face splochy with tears. Seeing Dib, his pac legs retract and he almost immediately seeks out his embrace, to which Dib grants, scooping the irken into his lap and holding him close. "You're not Defective zim..." Dib dint need his question answered as he looked around, seeing the irken symbol still flash on the large computer screen "the system is what's Defective..you where practically a kid..."

The two sat there for a good hour, Dib simply holding zim as he cries into his chest, eventually calming down enough to steady his breathing and calm down "i..I should be over this..zim shouldn't hold onto to these...these puney feelings ."

zims words earn a small sigh from Dib "it'd good to have feeling zim..and no Matter how much time has passed, it's ok to be hurt by what they did.." the irken looks up at Dib, wiping the tears from his eyes "I'm supposed to be a soldier..a mighty irken invader! Not...not this!" His voice rings with defeat, making Dibs heart nearly break.

Dib genently cups zims face, a soft expression on his own "..well I'm glad you're not...I love you how you are...what would I do if my space boy actually took over earth instead of just my heart?" He places a soft kiss to zims forehead, earning a small smile from his 'space boy'. "You would have been my pet, Dib stink" zim smiles "an irken ruler would need something stupid to entertain him"

happy to see zim smile again, Dib rises to his feet, still holding zim close to himself "You're only getting away with that because you're cute, I hope you know that" he smiles, capturing zims lips in a soft kiss "let's go get dinner started...gir made waffles so we have that clean up to look forward to." He rolls his eyes a bit, zim resting his head on his shoulder "oh how very fun" the irken says sarcastically as the two head up in the elevator to deal with the monstrosity gir had caused.

-the end <3-

Ignore any grammar or spelling mistakes..I have no excuse, I'm just stupid. 💀