Chapter 1 - Firestar

She told Opal, Midnight and Jade to meet her at the Moon Bay Peninsula in about half an hour, at Moonhigh. Jade and Midnight were already there within ten minutes, but Opal wasn't. It had been three hours already, so Opal really needed to fix this bad habit. Just when Firestar was about to fall asleep on the sand, a dragon shape materialised out of the indigo sky. Great moons. She's finally here. If that even is her. I swear, if it's not her, the next time I meet her I'll -

"Three moons. What took you so long?"

Opal landed on the beach, spraying up billows of sand. 

"Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry. I'm so sorry I'm late, but I had to attend my older brother's birthday party and -"

"Okay. Okay. Got it. Now, because of the fact you wasted two and a half hours, there's no time for the meeting, so I'll get straight to the point. We," Firestar pressed, gesturing to herself, Jade, Opal and Midnight, "are starting a revolution against," she pointed towards the Town of Night, "Queen Darkslayer."

Jade and Opal's expressions looked as if Firestar's horns became kebabs.

"You - you mean, us? As in, us . . . four? Against. Darkslayer?" Jade said with difficulty.

Midnight was a half Nightwing; Firestar expected her to become offended and end up leaving their friend group, but instead of being unsure, she growled at Jade, earning a horrified look from him. "Of course we can destroy her. She's a mean old dragon that only cares about herself. We have friends and we can all work together to end her reign."

Midnight's other half was a Icewing, which explained why she was so shiny, even on the darkest nights. She was a black mind reading Nightwing with Icewing horns and tail. She couldn't breathe fire, though. But she could breathe frostbreath.

Jade stayed horrified, but Opal looked slightly more reassured by Midnight's short speech.

Firestar had stayed silent for the last couple heartbeats, but now that she knew the Nightwing - Icewing was against her own queen, Firestar felt confident enough to speak up. 

"Thank you, Midnight. Thank you for being so courageous to speak up to those two cowards. And yes, we will be recruiting more members. Welp, that brings us to the end of our very short meeting. At least you guys get my point now."

She rose into the air. Opal followed close behind, leaving Midnight and Jade walking off in their opposite directions home. 

"THANKS, OPAL. SO MUCH! FOR WASTING OUR TIME!! HOORAY!"

Opal flinched at the sarcastic comment Firestar shot at her. Opal wasn't really good at arguing, so most of the time she seemed to avoid starting them. But it was very hard to get out of arguments with Firestar, especially if she caused it.

Firestar dived towards the Moon Bay Library, which was the only place the Nightwings built that she didn't want to shred to bits. Moon Bay Library was an ancient structure built of cobblestone, and the windows were glass panes of a dark blue. The entrance had two pedestals holding up the circular roof, and the stairs leading up to the two doors curved around the platform. Two potted flowering ferns hung from hooks in front of the pedestals.

Firestar stomped up the steps and across the deck, before reducing her stomps to a soft pit - pat upon entering the quiet library.

A rules board hung on the wall behind the reading librarian - the desk she was behind was made of elm, and it had golden letters engraved in it: LIBRARIAN.

Firestar turned left at the reception. The room she was in now was vast and its ceiling looked like a starry night. Some stars glowed brighter than the others, but the coolest of all was how the animus managed to make the ceiling have moving clouds.

The shelves were arranged in alphabetical order, from A - Z. There was fencing on top of the shelves, with cushions and pillows arranged up there too. The floor was made out of the same material as the front desk, and beside each window was a small nook with cushions. There was a Hivewing and what looked like a Skywing - Sandwing hybrid reading in two of the window nooks. The warm lighting was dim, but it was enough for visitors to see and read.

The good thing about Moon Bay Library was that it was welcome to all tribes. There were at least one from each tribe roaming the shelves or reading. Turns out Queen Darkslayer may have had just a teeny - weeny bit of sympathy for all the thirteen tribes under her rule.

"Opal." Firestar hissed quietly, "help me find Secrets of Darkslayer, right now, or I swear I will murder you." 

Opal scrambled towards the sign that read 'S'. She flapped loudly towards the top of the shelf, disturbing a reading Mudwing. He made a 'tsk' noise and flew off to another shelf to read.

Firestar had no choice but to scold Opal of her clumsiness. "Be quieter, will you??"

 Opal mumbled a quick apology and continued her search. FIrestar trailed her claw over the spines of the books in the shelves. 

"Found it!" Opal whisper - yelled. Firedstar flew over to where Opal was trying to get a book out of the shelf. She nudged Opal aside and lodged the book out with the edges of her claws. "Yess!" She hissed. The book had a purple - black cover, emblazoned with gold letters: 'Secrets of Darkslayer'. The texture of the cover was like leather. 

Firestar wondered, for a second, why the Nightwing Queen even allowed this book to be published. Her excitement quickly faded as the hope was devoured by the hungry anxiety.

Curious, Firestar landed and turned the cover. Her gut wrenched when she saw a dead fly in there, with white maggots crawling around and dropping onto the library floor. Firestar gagged and nearly threw up. She dropped the book, and when it fell, the book turned to another page. Now Firestar realised, with a gasp of horror, that all the pages were devoured by the maggots.