Chapter 2 - Firestar

This gross discovery left Firestar puking outside. That was completely disgusting. Who would put a dead fly in a book? Or, who would let a fly wander in the book and let it have babies?? After the last bit was over, Firestar walked woozily back to the library to look at the other copies.

Opal was just shoving the third and final maggot - infested book back in the black shelf, and a loud sniggering came from one of two dragons behind them. 

"Bye!" One of those dragons called softly. The other dragon cackled and stomped off. A few angry faces peered over at the commotion, but Firestar and Opal recognised the Mudwing that remained.

"Lily!"

Firestar's eyes lit up at the sight of the first ever dragon she called friend. Lily was her friend  when she was a dragonet. Their parents' parents were friends from the War of Sandwing Succession. 

Lily stared, wide eyed, with a big grin, at her old friend.

"Firestar!"

The two of them immediately broke into conversation, leaving Opal derp - sitting on the floor with her arms crossed.

"Lily! How's it been? You and your sibs good? Wow, this is such a coincidence. Anyway. I. Am. Starting a secret revolution against Darkslayer!! What about you? Do you think she should be queen?"

Lily look shocked to hear that Firestar was planning in secret against the Nightwing queen. Firestar shrinked back. "Are you okay?" She asked dubiously.

Lily scrunched up her eyes.

"That's what me and my remaining sibs are thinking of! Are you . . . recruiting members? If you are, could my sibs and I join?"

"Sure! Actually, I'm trying to get as many members as I can. Our current goal is ten members. So, I guess I'll make it official! Or maybe not. Official. I mean, we don't want the world to know about it. Otherwise they's be after us. Yeah."

Lily smiled weirdly and nodded. "Sure. Thanks."

Firestar swerved around and saw Opal leaving the library. She was making a 'quick, come here' gesture.

Firestar whispered a "bye!" and quickly went to join Opal outside the building, where a few crickets were chirping and the ocean's waves lapped against the white shore like hungry foxes pouncing for prey.

"I've recruited another member . . . Lily! Remember her?" Firestar excitedly exclaimed. Opal shook her head frantically and grabbed Firestar's talons in a rush.

"Listen. A Seawing came out of Moon Bay Library. He glared at Jade when he saw him flying away. And just then, two Sandwings left the Library. That Seawing hissed under his breath and left. I tried following him. He just dived into the ocean quickly like he was in a hurry."

"So?"

"I'm just saying it's a little suspicious. I suggest following him."

Firestar couldn't see the point that Opal was making.

"Why? Just because he seems to hate Sandwings or whatever, that doesn't have anything to do with us. Opal, why, just why are you so muddled up in other dragons' business? I don't get it."

She paused.

"Wait. You saw something in his mind, didn't you?"

Opal nodded her head slightly.

"Some. Dark stuff."

That was certainly enough to make Firestar convinced.

"Hurry up! Go!" She yelled.

Firestar leaped into the sea, immediately shocked by the freezing water. She was stunned for a second before propelling herself with her back legs. She heard a splash behind her, and turned around. Opal, now in her Seawing form, Conch, was trying to catch up. Firestar didn't stop but her legs were getting tired. But a glimpse of Seawing tail up front made her swim faster.

I wonder what the dark thoughts are about . . .

Firestar yelped in pain, and the bubbles around her mouth engulfed her face as she spun around. Something sharp was poking her tail. "Firestar! Wait! Stop!"

She stopped thrashing when the bubbles disappeared. Conch was trying to grab her tail.

"Let go! The Seawing's getting away!"

Her voice was washed away by the water. Conch frowned at her and flashed something in Aquatic.

That's the whole point, silly. You're way too noisy. He's trying to get away from you.

Firestar growled and shook Conch off. The Seawing ahead had stopped in a small coral cavern. He swirled around and glared at her, turned his back on her, fiddling with something floating around on a pearlescent shell table. He suddenly smashed the table and growled, causing a cascade of bubbles to emerge from his scarred mouth.

Firestar swam closer. Conch glided a few feet away from the entrance to the cavern.

Come here, she gestured.

Firestar rolled her eyes and propelled her legs to push herself over. What is it?? She mouthed.

Conch flashed a series of stripes at her, making Firestar very confused. Conch flashed them too fast, Firestar only caught a few parts.

That he hates Sandwings, and an image of a Sandwing sniggering . . . ripping another Seawing's. Seawing . . . stop the Sandwing, but . . . having torn gills . . . her claws. I guess he hates . . . now. But the Sandwing in the library . . . think, the exact same one that . . . important Seawing and ripped . . . gills.

Firestar widened her eyes, but the underwater sight spell was wearing off. Everything became blurred and her eyes started to sting at the salty ocean water. She felt tears welling up and kicked frantically, trying to get to the surface.

She growled at the horrible timing of her spells wearing off and waded towards the shore.

"His name is Bluebottle."

Firestar turned to see Conch's prussian scales dissolving into the uranian blue scales Opal had. There was an awkward silence before Firestar retorted: "So?"

"I know him. I know him as Conch."

Firestar frowned. 

"You know him?"

Firestar turned around and looked her in the eyes.

Opal sighed.

"The Sandwing that killed his brother was the queen, Ash. She was the old Sandwing queen buuut didn't want to get killed by the current queen so she let Darkslayer take the throne of Pyrrhia. That's why Bluebottle hates Sandwings. Because their queen killed his brother. Plus also, she was in the library. I mean, imagine."

Firestar couldn't piece everything together.

"So. . . I guess. . ."

Her tail hurt. She looked around. It was bleeding. Firestar frowned and sat down, taking a moment to think about what just happened.